There is something special about putting your organisation front and centre with our students in a workshop or mentor-based setting. It’s not about advertising your roles, it’s not about an immediate result - it’s all about being strategic. UOW students are studying to better themselves and their career. Some know what they’re aiming for, some don’t. What is common to all though is that they are looking to be inspired, looking to be engaged and looking to find a goal and work towards it. When you invest your time in an employer session or program like those below, and show what your organisation is all about, you can become that goal they are working towards. Check out ways to get involved.
Support and engage with our students
Share your expertise by hosting an interactive workshop to help our students acquire the knowledge and skills needed to transition successfully into the workforce. From leadership skills to upcoming technological trends and innovations, the options are endless.
Core skills workshops are free of charge and subject to approval. Our 2020 core workshops include:
- Transforming your Skills – Working as a freelancer/contractor/temp worker
- Start-Ups – What to expect and building your own work
Complete for 2020:
- Self-Identity – Optimising and utilising your strengths
- Agile Mindset – Flexibility and Adaptability
- Proactive Learning – Pioneering your career and managing up
- Technology – How to conduct yourself online and market yourself
- Future Jobs – Obtaining micro credentials to be adaptable
- Artificial Intelligence and Automation – How they will change your future work
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest for available workshops.
Univative has been supporting local, regional and metropolitan businesses since the program launched in 2004. It was designed take students from the classroom to the boardroom and to provide students with consultancy experience, working with organisations from all sectors to address real strategic issues and business challenges.
Since its launch, Univative has supported 80+ businesses and has had 1,200+ students complete the program.
For businesses, it opens the door to student talent, fresh perspectives, extra resources and an efficient way to assess students for future employment.
For students, it provides a means to test their knowledge, build their skills and grow their professional network.
Univative 2021 is a four week competition, running from 21 June - 16 July 2021. As a host, there are three key dates to be aware of:
- Monday, 21 June: Initial project briefing with student teams (approx. 1.5 hours)
- Week starting Monday, 5 July: Mid-point check with teams on a day this week (approx. 1- 1.5 hours)
- Friday, 16 July: Grand Finale (1 hour judging panel in the morning; 2 hour final event in the afternoon)
Role of host organisations
Businesses are required to set a challenge that reflects an actual need of the organisation for students to tackle in small inter-disciplinary teams. In partnership with Careers Central, a staff member from the participating organisation is elected to mentor and coach the students over the course of 4 weeks, while they work on developing a solution through collaborative research. Each student team will produce a written business report and a final video presentation which the project host will judge and select a winning team.
Contact our team via email, or phone on (02) 4221 3325, to register your interest and to find out more.
UOWx is an initiative that encourages students to develop the transferable skills that potential employers are looking for. Students who graduate with a UOWx Award or UOWx Record have demonstrated commitment to gaining experience and skills outside of the classroom during their time at the University of Wollongong. Employers are able to get involved in the UOWx program and meet future graduates from UOW by:
- recognising UOWx documents during recruitment periods
- mentoring extraordinary UOWx Award candidates
- attending our events (leadership summits, industry presentations, online seminars and more)