Support options

Discussing and disclosing instances of violence, abuse or harassment can be traumatic, uncomfortable and difficult. UOW has adopted a support-first model that works to ensure that you are supported on your own terms. We want you to know that it is not your fault and you are not alone.

SARC is here to help

You can contact the SARC team for support, advice and to find out about your reporting options. You can decide what you choose to do next and the type of support that you need. Find out how SARC can support you.

Contact SARC

Safe and Respectful Communities at UOW


The SARC Team works with students, staff and the wider community to educate and inform the university community about respectful relationships.

We promote safety on campus and aim to prevent sexual assault, violence and harassment at the University of Wollongong. 

When incidents do occur, we help manage them with a compassionate, trauma-informed and support focussed approach.

At UOW we encourage you to speak out and seek support if you have experienced or witnessed unacceptable behaviour

Such as...

sexual assault, harassment, violence, domestic violence, bullying, discrimination

So what happens when you contact us?

First, our trained staff will talk to you confidentially about what has happened.

We will listen to you, believe you and talk to you about your options to help you decide what happens next.

We can provide you with information and assistance and can connect you with support services at UOW and in the community who can help.

We can also support you to manage the impacts on your studies at UOW.

If what happened relates to a member of our university community, we will talk to you about whether our rules about behaviour at UOW may have been broken

You can decide if you want to make a formal report about what has happened to the university.

In some situations, UOW may need to take action to keep everyone safe.

Depending on what has happened, you may also decide to report the matter to the police. 

We can help you to do that.

Be assured, we will keep you informed and support you every step of the way. 

If you are an international student, reporting to the university or the police will not affect your visa.

Reach out to Safe and Respectful Communities – SARC – for information, support and advice

You can contact us by email through our website or by phone

Other support options and resources

We encourage all members of the community to speak out and seek support if they see behaviour that is threatening in any way.

More resources

External support

NSW Rape Crisis

Rape and Domestic Violence Services Australia provides counselling for people of all genders whose lives have been impacted by sexual assault. They provide telephone, online, and some face to face counselling. Their services are free and available (24 hours/7 days).

1800 424 017

Domestic Violence Line

Free call 1800 656 463
Translating and Interpreting Services: 13 14 50
TTY 1800 67 14 42
The Domestic Violence Line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

1800 Respect

1800Respect provides a national sexual assault, domestic and family violence counselling service.


Qlife (3pm - midnight, every day) provides anonymous and free LGBTI peer support and referral for people in Australia wanting to talk about sexuality, identity, gender, bodies, feelings or relationship.

Phone: 1800 184 527
Webchat with Qlife



ACON is a New South Wales based health promotion organisation specialising in HIV prevention, HIV support and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) health.

Visit the ACON website

Online Safety

Find the latest information to help you manage online safety, and get help to deal with harm caused by serious online abuse or illegal and restricted content.

eSafety Website
Report online harm

Contact SARC

Contact SARC for support, first level responder training (staff and students), and other training options.