Opal cards can be used on trains, buses, light rail and ferry's by 'tapping' on and off at stops. For UOW students, you will either use a concessional opal card, or an adult opal card. To be eligible for a concessional card you need to:
- Be a full-time enrolled student (more information about full-time and part-time study)
- Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident; and
- Have a NSW home address.
NOTE: If you are studying a joint degree, i.e., at UOW and TAFE NSW, you will need to provide proof of your TAFE enrolment to the AskUOW team in Student Central.
If you are an international student or a domestic part-time student, you are not eligible for a concession opal card. You will need to purchase an adult card. On Campus, opal cards can be purchased from the UniShop.
How to order a concessional card
- Log into SOLS
- Select 'Transport Concession' from the left-hand menu
- Read the information, tick the checkbox to provide your consent for UOW to confirm your eligibility with Transport for NSW; and
- Wait 48 hours - then go to the Opal card website to order your card.
Your card will be posted to your mailing address five (5) to seven (7) days after your application has been submitted. For more information opal cards, and how to use them, visit the Opal website.
Showing proof of concession entitlement on public transport
Eligible students using a Concession Opal card on public transport in NSW are required to carry proof of concession entitlement at all times.
Transport NSW will accept:
- A physical student ID card issued in the current year;
- A physical student ID card with an enrolment sticker for the current year if your card was issued in a previous year. You can obtain an enrolment sticker for your student card from Student Central; or
- A Transport Concession Entitlement Card (TCEC), presented along with your Concession Opal card. If travelling in regional NSW, you will need to carry a Transport Concession Entitlement Card as proof of entitlement.
Transport NSW does not accept digital ID cards or SOLS login as proof of enrolment.
For more information about Opal Cards concessions, visit the Transport for NSW website.