We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you personalised advertising. To find out more, read our privacy policy and cookie policy

Opal card and travel

Opal cards

Opal cards can be used on trains, buses, light rail and ferry's by 'tapping' on and off at stops.  For UOW students, you will either use a concessional opal card, or an adult opal card.  To be eligible for a concessional card you need to:

  • Be a full-time enrolled student (more information about full-time and part-time study)
  • Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident; and
  • Have a NSW home address.

NOTE: If you are studying a joint degree, i.e., at UOW and TAFE NSW, you will need to provide proof of your TAFE enrolment to Student Service staff in Student Central.

If you are an international student or a domestic part-time student, you are not eligible for a concession opal card.  You will need to purchase an adult card.  On Campus, opal cards can be purchased from the Uni Shop next to the National Australia Bank. 

How to order a concessional card

  1. Log into SOLS
  2. Select 'Transport Concession' from the left hand menu
  3. Read the information, tick the checkbox to provide your consent for UOW to confirm your eligibility with Transport for NSW; and 
  4. Wait 48 hours - then go to the Opal card website to order your card.

Your card will be posted to your mailing address five (5) to seven (7) days after your application has been submitted.  For more information opal cards, and how to use them, visit the Opal website.

Lost cards

If you lose your opal card, simply apply for a replacement via the Opal website.

Opal contact

If you have specific questions about your Opal card, please refer to the Opal FAQs or contact NSW Transport directly.