What is student academic consideration?
Academic Consideration is intended to help minimise the impact of compassionate, compelling or extenuating circumstances beyond a student’s control, which significantly impair a student’s ability to complete an assessment task on or by the due date as stipulated in the Subject Outline; or which affects Academic Progress in a subject relevant to their course of study. Academic consideration may be granted on the basis of compassionate, compelling circumstances and/or extenuating circumstances.
The Student Academic Consideration Policy enables students to request consideration for the evaluation of assessable components of a subject in a fair, reasonable and consistent manner.
Students are responsible for making reasonable efforts to minimise the impacts of circumstances affecting their academic performance. In all instances, students should liaise with their Subject Coordinator in the first instance when they become aware of an impact on their studies.
Academic consideration is considered for compassionate and compelling circumstances which:
- Significantly impact a student's ability to meet the requirements of a subject teaching/learning and/or assessment task (as defined in the relevant subject outline); and
- Are beyond the student's control, i.e. not due to their action or inaction'.
Prior to submitting an application, students should familiarise themselves with the eligibility criteria outlined below.
Students can apply for academic consideration for COVID-19 related impacts in 2022. This includes (but is not limited to) impacts due to:
- COVID-19 related illness;
- lockdown restrictions;
- self-isolation / quarantine requirements;
- attending vaccination appointments; or
- other immediate impacts due to the COVID-19 pandemic