Apply to graduate

You must apply to graduate in order to have your course conferred. Conferral is the process of 'officially validating' or finishing your course.

Once your course is conferred, your official documents will be posted to you and also issued digitally via My eQuals. You can also commence using your qualification, title and post-nominals.

Refer to the graduation key dates for dates relating to applications, ceremonies, fees and changing preferences.

How to apply

You will be eligible to graduate if you:

  • have completed all requirements for your degree; and
  • have no outstanding fees or fines owing to the University (see step 2 below).

Want to check your eligibility to graduate with distinction? Refer to the Weighted Average Mark (WAM) calculator.

Higher degree research (HDR) candidates

If you are a HDR student will be eligible to graduate once you satisfy the Thesis Examination Committee’s resolution. You must then submit to the Graduate Research School a digital copy of the final thesis and a Digital Repository Form completed by the candidate and principal supervisor.

Before applying to graduate, you must pay all outstanding fees or fines owing to the University. These must be paid at least three weeks prior to the ceremonies (regardless of your attendance preference). All outstanding payments will be listed in SOLS.

Graduates who elect to attend a graduation ceremony will be required to pay the graduation fee at least one week prior to their allocated ceremony.

Make sure all of your personal details are up to date in SOLS before you apply to graduate, as these will be listed on your official documents and at the graduation ceremony.

Details you need to check include:

Your name

This is the name that will:

  • be printed on your official documents
  • appear in the graduation program booklet
  • be announced in your ceremony (if you choose to attend)

If you need to update your official name, you may need to provide supporting documentation.

Your address

The address you nominate in your graduation application is where UOW will send your official documents. Additional charges will apply if returned mail needs to be redirected.

Your application to graduate is where you indicate two important things:

  1. That you would like UOW to confer your course, once your eligibility is confirmed; and
  2. Whether you would like to attend a graduation ceremony (this is optional).

To start your application, log in to SOLS and select ‘Graduation Application’ from the left-hand menu. You will need to apply before the cut-off date. Late applications will not be accepted.

If you’re completing more than one course, you must submit a separate graduation application for each individual course.

Note: a double degree is considered a single course of study for the purpose of completing a graduation application.

Once you’ve submitted your application, it’s important to keep checking your SOLS as notifications will be sent via SOLSmail. Information will also appear under the ‘Graduation Confirmation and Eligibility’ menu.

Ceremony details

A list of ceremony compositions by course will be available on the website approximately one month prior to the first ceremony. This list includes ceremony dates and times as well as a list of courses included in each ceremony. It’s a good idea to take note of the date and time of your proposed ceremony and double check your personal details are up-to-date in SOLS.

Final eligibility and ceremony allocation

If you have applied to graduate, your ceremony allocation and eligibility will be available via the ‘Graduation Confirmation and Eligibility’ menu in SOLS after your final session’s results are published. Refer to the graduation key dates for exact dates.

If you have elected to attend a graduation ceremony, your ceremony allocation will also be available in SOLS by the advertised date. Please note that some students may be provided their ceremony allocation prior to receiving confirmation of their eligibility to graduate. Only students who are eligible to graduate can attend a graduation ceremony.

Changing your graduation preferences

You can update your personal details even after you have applied to graduate.

You can change your ceremony attendance preference after you have submitted your application - you do not need to withdraw your application to do this.

  1. Login to SOLS
  2. Select 'Graduation Application'
  3. Select 'Review'
  4. Select 'Change Attendance'
  5. Under ‘Part A: Graduation ceremony choices’ you can change your attendance to the desired option

If you’re unable to attend an in-person ceremony, you will need to select ‘I do not wish to attend’ to avoid being charged the graduation fee.

Please note: Graduates will be allocated to a ceremony based on their faculty and degree awarded, and will not be able to swap ceremonies or attend a ceremony for another faculty. Unfortunately we are unable to defer your attendance at a graduation ceremony if you’re unable to attend the ceremony you're allocated to.

If you've applied to graduate and no longer wish to graduate at this time, you must withdraw your application. By withdrawing your application you will not be conferred for your course, you will not receive any official documents and will not be able to use your title or post-nominals.

  1. Login to SOLS
  2. Select 'Graduation Application'
  3. Select 'Review'
  4. Select 'Withdraw Application'

To update the email address nominated for your My eQuals account, as well as the postal address for your testamur, follow these steps:

  1. Login to SOLS
  2. Select 'Graduation Application'
  3. Select 'Review'
  4. Select 'Change Attendance'
  5. Under ‘Part B: Document delivery options’ you can change your details.

Please note you cannot use an or email address for your My eQuals account, or as the address nominated for document delivery.

Graduation fee

A graduation fee of $160 (inc. GST) will apply to all graduates who elect to attend a ceremony. You will be notified when the fee is available for payment in SOLS, or refer to the graduation key dates.

Please refer to the fees website for payment options.

 The fee includes:

  • hire of academic dress
  • trencher or bonnet (to keep)
  • up to two (2) guest tickets
  • graduation booklet
  • gown laundering
  • additional COVID-Safe cleaning between ceremonies

Please note:

  • If you purchase your own academic dress, you are still required to pay the graduation fee.
  • If you are graduating from multiple degrees in different ceremonies, fees apply to each ceremony you are attending.

If you paid the graduation fee but are ineligible to graduate, you can request a refund.

If you cannot attend your graduation ceremony and have already paid, you can also request a refund. Refunds will only be considered in exceptional circumstances which do not include things like work, holidays, car breakdown or change of mind.

Visit the fees website for information on how to apply for a refund.