Overseas health cover (OSHC)

Overseas Student Health Cover with Bupa

Welcome to the Bupa family.

We're here to ensure life in Australia is the safest and the healthiest it can be for you. The healthcare system in Australia can be tricky to understand, but we're here to help you.

What am I covered for?

With Bupa's Overseas Student Health Cover, your membership can help cover the cost of hospital and medical treatment. Bupa pays the equivalent of 100% of the fees, as set out by the Australian government, towards a wide range of medical services, also known as the Medicare Benefits Schedule Fee. Hospital expenses, medical expenses, outpatient pharmacy and emergency ambulance are covered by our recognised providers.

If you think you'll need to visit the dentist, optometrist, physio or chiro, you can add Bupa OSHC Extras cover, where you'll have 100% costs covered for a set number of selected services at Members First Providers.

How do I get my membership card?

Once you've arrived in Australia, it's time to order your membership card. Visit mybupa.com.au and register your account online, update your membership address and order a plastic card straight to your home, or access a digital card on your mobile phone.

What if I get sick or injured?

An emergency is a serious illness or injury that poses an immediate risk to your life or long-term well-being. In an emergency, visit your local hospital or call 000 for an ambulance. If it's not an emergency, visit bupa.com.au/students to find a Bupa friendly doctor near you. Visiting a Bupa friendly doctor can help reduce out-of-pocket costs. Don't forget to bring your student ID and Bupa membership card with you. Your doctor may give you a referral letter to see a specialist, or a prescription for medicine.

How do I make claims?

At participating Bupa recognised healthcare providers, you can get your benefit paid on the spot. Just swipe your plastic card, or tap and claim with your digital card on your mobile phone. If this isn't available, there are other ways to submit claims to get your benefit back in your pocket. You can submit a claim via the myBupa website or through the myBupa app. Simply select "Make A Claim" and upload a copy of your receipt. You will need to provide your Australian bank account details. Once your claim is processed, any refund will be paid into this account. If you prefer to speak to someone in person, visit a Bupa store with your receipt to receive help from a friendly consultant.

How can I make the most of my membership?

Being part of the Bupa family gives you access to a range of benefits with Bupa Plus. Save through exclusive discounts, special offers, and experience life in Australia to the fullest. Members also have access to a 24/7 student health and support line. Speak to a registered nurse, access counseling services, or receive advice on home, property, legal or general tax inquiries, with interpreters available in 180 languages.

Where can I get extra support?

You'll find everything you need on our OSHC Student Hub website, made just for you, so you can find the right information at the right time. Visit bupa.com.au/students. Don't forget, you can speak to one of our friendly consultants in person by visiting one of our many retail shops across Australia, or find on-campus support at select educational partners. Visit bupa.com.au/students or call 1800 888 942, +61 3 9937 4223 outside Australia.

As an international student, it is a requirement of your student visa that you have student health cover for the duration of your study in Australia.  Bupa is the University's chosen OSHC provider.  When students receive an offer to study at UOW, students have the option to allow UOW to organise OSHC (only if through our preferred provider Bupa).  This happens when:

  1. You have paid the full amount of tuition and OSHC fees due to the University.  When paid, UOW will advise Bupa that you have paid your fees; and
  2. Bupa then registers you as a member, and issues a membership card.  This will be send to the address that you have registered in Australia.  If you do not have a postal address in Australia, your card will be sent to University, or the the UOW College if.

If you do not wish to use Bupa, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have OSHC that is current, and for the duration of your student visa

What does Bupa cover?

Bupa offers cover for a range of services. Some are:

How to order my Bupa OSHC membership card

To order your Bupa membership card for your Overseas Student Health Cover, follow these steps:

  1. To register myBupa account: https://my.bupa.com.au/register
  2. Click the ‘Cover’ option in the menu of the Home Page
  3. Select ‘Order a membership card’
  4. Check that your contact details are correct. Update your Australian home mailing address in the “Membership address” section. Please delate campus address and update your personal postal address. If you live in UOW accommodation, please request your postal address from accommodation address.
  5. Then select ‘Order’

If you have issues to register, please send your Coe to oshconcampusteam@bupa.com.au or call 1800 644 111. If you have family or couple cover, please send family members’ full name, date of birth and gender plus your Coe to oshconcampusteam@bupa.com.au and we will then add your family members into your policy and send you another email to let you know how to order cards for your family.

To access digital cards

How to claim 

All claims for Bupa can be either made either online, or by visiting a Bupa Centre.  If you are claiming for any hospital admission or medical consultations within the first 12 months of membership, you will need to complete a Medical Certificate

Further information regarding Bupa, and how to use OSHC can be found below:

Bupa contacts

If you would like to contact Bupa to discuss your options, renew your membership or get a quote for insurance, please use any of the contacts provided below. 

Bupa OSHC Service-Hotline: 1800 644 111

Email: oshconcampusteam@bupa.com.au*

Location: On-campus at Student Central, Building 17

Office hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 12 pm–4 pm

*Emails will be answered within 1 day if the email is sent between Monday and Friday from 9 am–5 pm

Overseas Student Hub

Bupa's Overseas Student Hub has a range of helpful resources for students and their family members. There are some great videos and resources available in the hub, including: