Please note: this volunteering is with an external community organisation that UOWx has a partnership with.
Please contact email@example.com once you have been accepted into this role and UOWx will add you to the Moodle site so you can commence claiming your hours.
How is this program run?
This program is running in person only.
What will I do?
Multicultural Communities Council of Illawarra (MCCI) supports people and communities from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. MCCI delivers a range of services that meet community needs and promote equity, harmony, social inclusion and build community capacity.
As an MCCI Volunteer you will be able to support a variety of programs in a number of ways:
- Aged Care navigator – assist community members to understand and access the Australian Aged Care System
- Community Visitor – provide a friendly visit to residents of Aged Care Facilities that might feel isolated and have little or no contact with family
- Bus Driver – support community members to participate in the Cultural Social Support Groups by picking them up and dropping them off at the groups and then back home. Volunteers need a current C-class driving licence
- Bus Carer – assist the Bus Driver to transport clients to the Cultural Social Support Groups
- Social Support Group Assistant – assist the Social Support Group Facilitator to prepare food, set up and pack up the room and interact with clients in the Cultural Social Support Group
- Marketing and Communications Volunteer – draft and schedule social media posts, update the MCCI website and the Raisely fundraising platform as directed and work on the development and distribution of marketing and communications material for MCCI
You can choose to volunteer in one or more of the above roles to contribute hours towards your UOWx Recognition.
How will I benefit?
You will have the opportunity to:
- Gain general knowledge about the aged care system
- Work with culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- Participate in community engagement & education
- Participate in community development initiatives
- Develop your public-speaking skills
- Provide refugee support
- Increase your cultural competence
How do I apply?
Complete this online expression of interest selecting the 'social support' area of interest and the MCCI team will be in touch with you to arrange an interview.
Are there any special requirements for this role?
No special requirements, however a police check will be undertaken prior to you commencing in your role.
Minimum requirements for UOWx recognition
To receive UOWx recognition, you must complete the following:
- An "engaged" student will need to be complete 20 hours over a calendar year
- A "highly engaged" student will need to complete 40 hours over a calendar year
Please visit the MCCI website for more information.
|Where?||When?||Time commitment||Type||Learning Streams|
||Minimum of 1 hour per fortnight.||