Please Note: this volunteering is with an external community organisation that UOWx has a partnership with. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org once you have been accepted into this role and UOWx will add you to the Moodle site so you can commence claiming your hours.
How is this program run?
This program is run in-person.
What will I do?
Illawarra Retirement Trust (IRT) is a community based aged-care provider. IRT Volunteers support programs that provide IRT residents with access to activities and assistance. The volunteer role includes program facilitation, administration and promotion. As an IRT volunteer, there are a number of opportunities to volunteer that support the IRT programs. All of the IRT programs are led by paid staff who coordinate the programs and provide a program specific induction and training to the volunteers. The programs that volunteers may provide support to include:
- Companionship Volunteer – volunteers provide support to IRT residents who are at risk of social isolation. This support includes regular visits to chat and interact, and encouraging residents to participate in site activities.
- Volunteer Activities Assistant – volunteers support the IRT Lifestyle team to deliver the monthly calendar of events, providing meaningful activities to IRT residents and helping residents to achieve their optimum quality of life
- Wellness Check Volunteer – volunteers welcome visitors to IRT Aged Care Centres; perform screening procedures including COVID-19 Wellness Checks of all visitors; contractors and transient employees; check flu and COVID-19 vaccinations of visitors; and assist with registration and entry to the Aged Care Centre.
- IRT Legal Administration Assistant – volunteers carry out general administrative duties to support IRT legal initiatives, assist with implementation of IRT legal strategy and assist with maintaining legal databases.
- IRT Volunteering Administration Assistant – volunteers carry out general administrative duties to support the implementation of the IRT volunteer strategy, maintain the volunteer database, assist with phone calls, and support the production of IRT Volunteering promotional materials
- Marketing and Communications Volunteer – volunteers support the IRT team to develop content for key promotion and engagement activities, including social media posts, digital media and print media.
How will I benefit?
As an IRT Volunteer you will develop skills in:
- Intergenerational Communication
- Emotional Intelligence
- Marketing and Communications
- Event Coordination
How do I apply?
Follow this link to apply.
Are there any special requirements for this role?
There are no special requirements.
Minimum requirements for UOWx recognition
To receive UOWx Recognition for volunteering with a community partner, you will need to email email@example.com to let us know you are enrolled as a volunteer. You will be provided with instructions about how to log your hours for this role.
To have this activity added to your UOWx Record, you must complete the following:
- An ‘engaged’ student will need to complete 20 hours over a calendar year
- A ‘highly engaged’ student will need to complete 40 hours over a calendar year
For more information, view the website.
|Where?||When?||Time commitment||Type||Learning Streams|
||Minimum of 1 hour a week.||