Confidential, free counselling and wellbeing services in your language 24/7. UOW has partnered with LifeWorks to deliver a Student Support Program to support your emotional, mental and general psychological wellbeing.
Counselling services for international students returning to Australia
Learn more about the Student Support Program
- What issues can I get support for?
- Who can use the support services?
- How do I get immediate support or to request support?
- How do I access LifeWorks support resources and tools?
- Is the service free?
- How many times can I use the service?
- How will my personal information be handled?
LifeWorks counsellors can support you with ...
- Strengthen relationships
- Improving communication
- Depression, anxiety and stress
- Time management
- Maximising performance
- Study/life balance
- Connecting effectively
- Grief and bereavement
- Exam stress
- Organisational changes
- Studying effectively
- Legal and/or financial matters - advice are provided to help you in planning your next course of action. When booking an appointment, indicate that you are seeking support with a legal or financial matter.
All UOW international students enrolled at one of our Australian campuses and who were unable to enter to Australia due to border closures and who have now returned to Australia can access LifeWorks' counselling and wellbeing support services and resources until September 2022.
Under the Australian health regulatory law, UOW counsellors cannot offer counselling to anyone outside of Australia; therefore we have engaged LifeWorks to support the health and wellbeing of our international students who are stranded offshore.
LifeWorks have counsellors around the world and can provide locally-relevant support. If in-country support is unavailable, you have 24/7/365 access to LifeWorks’ Global Care Access Centre in Canada where they can offer you support with clinicians in your language of choice.
How to access LifeWorks platform
- Check your UOW email for access details--we have sent access instructions to all eligible students.
Didn't receive access instructions / need to request access?
- To request LifeWorks platform access, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember to include your name, UOW student ID, UOW email address and the country you are currently in.
Resources and tools you can access through LifeWorks
- A library of resources, updated every month, designed to boost your physical, mental, social, financial and career wellbeing
- Practical tips and strategies
- Wellbeing spotlights, articles, toolkits, audio tips and videos
- Guided mindfulness and meditation sessions
- Connect with LifeWorks 24/7 for support
- Share the Platform with your family
- Boost your resilience, improve your sleep, and more.
UOW has fully subsidised the service so there is no cost to you for using the counselling support.*
For each concern you are experiencing, you can receive a series of support sessions, over the telephone, via video, or in person. The service focuses on short-term, solution focused therapy.
* If you need more specialised or long-term support, your counsellor will help you select an appropriate specialist or service. Fees for these additional services will be your responsibility; LifeWorks will review with you your possible support options and any related costs.
You can access up to six sessions of counselling per issue, and you can seek support on unlimited issues per year.
Support is available 24/7 throughout the year.
Information relating to participation in the program is strictly confidential. No information will be shared with anyone without informed, voluntary and written consent.
The mental health professionals who provide counselling are either directly employed by LifeWorks, not by UOW, or are engaged by LifeWorks through their partner network. These professionals will maintain notes, log and record all sessions to guide assessment and treatment. No information will be shared outside this service unless you have given your permission. However, in certain circumstances your information may be released to a third party if the mental health professional makes a judgment that you or another person is at risk of harm or where there is a legal obligation to produce or share your information.
Your counselling file is kept on a secure database, and is not connected to your UOW student file or to health care records. All information will be handled in accordance with privacy laws.