Get involved in informal, fun and inclusive chats with your peers through Couch Conversations. There's something special about connecting with fellow students and staff from UOW. There's a learning, a comradery, a unity that comes with it and we know you are missing it, and can’t wait to meet you!
Join the conversation
Couch Conversations session are on throughout the week with in-person and online options. Join a session that suits you!.Register to join in the conversation
Couch Conversations introduction (image)
"Laughter during the session"
Student: You go, all good.
Student: I was saying, all good, thank you Sarah. Yeah, just quiet a lot of things on the to-do list which I’m obviously ignoring.
Friends from all campuses & all countries (image)
Student: How about you guys? Um, I have like 50 million things to do on my to-do list, and I’m just kind of hiding it behind my laptop so I can’t see it.
Pets, Netflix & taking a break (image)
Student: Yeah I kind of feel like I’m in the same boat as Ana, just so many things to do and no time to do it at all. But then I feel like I do sometimes have time and I just watch Grey’s Anatomy, so I need to get my life together and sort that out.
You’re on mute (image)
Facilitator: Do you have a dog in the background?... You’re on mute.
Student: Yes, he’s got the sock and I’m trying to [get it back]. This is Nelson, he’s very playful.
Facilitator: Very cute.
Facilitator: Hi, Nelson!
Student: Any other Netflix suggestions? I am open to everything.
Tips & tricks (image)
Facilitator: Because everyone’s got experience, what would be your top tip for someone starting this semester or beginning remote learning? Something for them to look out for or to start working on now so that they’re not falling behind in a couple of weeks’ time.
Student: So, what works for me is to have a big note / to-do list in front of my desk so whenever I sit here watching a Netflix series, I can look at it and go into the good trap that oh my god I still have to do that. So that it still kind of helps me to do stuff a little bit more than I used to, so I have a big paper there like ‘assignment is due on this date, stop watching this show and start working’, so that pretty much works for me. I think constant reminders are going to help because you have the choice to postpone things now, so yeah, that's pretty much it for me.
Student: I would say, don’t forget to do breaks and not just breaks when you are again watching Netflix which is exciting and relaxing, but also breaks when you go outside and breathe fresh and air and maybe walk or do some exercises because it is very tempting to stay at home.
A little social interaction (image)
Facilitator: [I know] it’s a bit weird to start with to connect through this way, but I think that it’s nice to then see people’s faces. Yeah, I don’t know how everybody else is feeling.
Student: Yes, it’s really nice to see you all because after a long time we are meeting like in such a platform, and yes it’s really great in this new semester.
Couch Conversations session are on throughout the week. You can join in one, or a lot – it’s your choice, or you can even become a regular – just sign up.
What can you expect?
- An intimate group of students joining in a conversation (just so everyone feels comfortable and heard).
- CC sessions are a platform through which all our UOW students - from all campuses and countries, all study areas and all walks of life - can connect. Whatever your motivation, whether it's to share experiences, develop cross-cultural relationships, practice your English or hear about tips and tricks for work, study and play - everyone is welcome!
- We will be there (a few student and staff facilitators from the UOW Peer Connection Team) to simply guide the conversation if required and give it a bit of structure. We're happy to sit back and let the conversation flow but if you're looking for a topic or an activity to get you started, that is where we can help.
- Each conversation will go for approximately an hour (60 minutes).
- You drop in and out as you need to - this really is purely about re-establishing that connection all UOW students like to feel with their peers.
Once you register, you'll receive a confirmation for your booking and before your session starts, you will get an email with the details on how to join.
Whatever your motivation, whether it's to share experiences, develop cross-cultural friendships, enhance your personal and professional skills or hear about tips, tricks upcoming opportunities - everyone is welcome!
Our sessions are continuing over the mid-year recess break (Trimester 2)
To stay connected and enhance your skills, check our schedule below and register for a session.
|Wednesday||12.30 pm to 1.30 pm||Online|
|Friday||3.30 pm to 4.30 pm||19-2003 (Wollongong campus)|