Credit for prior learning
If a student has previously studied a subject at another institution (or under a different UOW degree), they may be eligible to have the subject assessed by their Faculty to have the achievement added to the current or future degree as a 'credit' and/or an 'exemption', i.e., exempt from studying the subject (or similar subjects) again.
There are two types of credit:
- Specified: this means the student has studied a subject which is equivalent to a UOW subject; or
- Unspecified: this means the subject is not exactly the same as a UOW subject, but will count towards a degree and reduce the number of elective subjects needed to complete.
Students are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the University's Credit for Prior Learning Policy (PDF), and to liaise with their Faculty regarding which subjects may be eligible in these circumstances. Faculty contacts are as follows:
- Faculty of the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Engineering, Information and Sciences
- Faculty of Science, Medicine and Health
If it is determined (by the Faculty) that a subject may be eligible for consideration, depending on the status of the student, i.e., a Current or Future student of UOW, the Credit for Prior Learning form must be completed.