Cross-institutional study

Cross institutional study for existing UOW students

Where a student would like to study subjects at another University to count subjects towards their degree (at UOW), the following cross-institutional study options may be considered: 

Students can:

  1. Complete the 'Cross-Institutional Study at another University' application form, and seek approval from their relevant Faculty.  It is important to provide (as supporting documentation):
    • a print our of the student 'Enrolment' record from SOLS; and 
    • the subject descriptions from the other University. 
  2. The student should contact the other University to arrange cross-institutional enrolment (for the subject(s) proposed to study) 

When the application is approved by the students Faculty, the student will be enrolled into an 'XINT' subject in SOLS, and will receive a letter to provide to the other University.  When the external study is completed, the student must return their academic transcript from the other University (original or certified copy) to Student Central to ensure the UOW 'Enrolment' record is updated.  Please note that this could take up to a week for the credit to be added. 

Important:  If a student is in their final session of study, cross-institutional study may delay their graduation, this will depend on when the student obtains their academic transcript (from the other University).  It is important to keep on top of the 'Last date to apply to Graduate' with UOW. 

HELP Loan status letter

If a student is planning to study at another University (as a cross-institutional student), they may need to a HELP Status Letter to the other University.  These letters summarise your current course of study and your Commonwealth Supported status, so that you can be eligible for the same Commonwealth assistance for the cross-institutional enrolment.  To request a HELP Status Letter, send a request to the Fees team at:

Cross Institutional study for other University students

If a student (from another University) would like to study subjects at UOW (to count towards their degree, they are welcome to apply for cross institutional study.  The cut-off date to receive such applications at UOW is one (1) week prior to the start of session (as per Key Dates).

To undertake cross-institutional study at UOW, students may:

  1. Refer to the subject database to consider subjects available (if the other University requires subject outlines, students may contact the relevant Faculty to request them).
  2. Complete the relevant application form.   The following is required as part of the application:
    • A letter from the University confirming the subjects planned to undertake at UOW (which will be credited towards the current course)
    • A certified copy (by a Justice of the Peace) of a transcript of the students previous studies; and 
    • A certified copy (by a Justice of the Peace) of  the students birth certificate, passport, visa and/or Australian Citizenship certificate.  For international students - evidence of satisfactory English results are also required. 
  3. Return the completed application to staff at Student Central

Cross-Institutional Study Form At UOW 

Non Award Study at UOW

Would you like to study some subjects at UOW which will not form part of a full degree? You may like to consider non-award study.

Cut-off dates to receive applications is 1 week prior to the start of session (as per Key Dates)

Applications are assessed by the faculty in line with normal entry requirements. Non-award subjects are charged a per-credit point rate and you can find out about the fees information here.

To apply for non-award study:

  1. Complete the non-award study application form. The form should include:
    1. Certified copies (by a Justice of the Peace) of any completed tertiary studies
    2. A Certified copy (by a Justice of the Peace) of your Birth Certificate, Passport, Visa, or Australian Citizenship Certificate
    3. International applications must also provide evidence of satisfactory English results
  2. Return the completed form to Student Central

Non Award StudyApplication Form 

Last reviewed: 8 August, 2018