students, indoor, social, science teaching facility, STF

Student visa

All international students require a student visa to study at the University of Wollongong (UOW). This must be obtained before travelling to Australia.

UOW is an eligible institution as part of the Australian Government's Streamlined Visa Processing (SVP) system.

Visa application process

To apply for a student visa, you will need:

  • A valid passport
  • Your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE)
  • Any other documentation required by the Australian Diplomatic Post

Your nearest Australian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission will be able to advise you about visa processing times, how to apply and whether you need to undergo health checks or provide chest x-rays.

If you are granted a student visa, you must abide by certain conditions including (but not limited to):

  • Full-time study
  • Satisfactory academic progress
  • Maintaining approved Overseas Student Health Cover
  • Remaining with UOW for at least six months, or the duration of the course if shorter than six months
  • Notifying UOW of your address in Australia and any subsequent change of address within seven days.

Renew a student visa

If you currently study in Australia, or have previously studied here, you may need to renew your student visa.

You can renew your visa in Australia – but not if it has a 'No Further Stay' condition.

If you decide to apply for a new visa in your home country, please indicate this on your Acceptance Agreement.

If you travel to Australia before your visa is granted, you may need to lodge a new application in Australia which requires you to pay another application fee. Apply online.

Important information for higher degree research applicants

The Department of Home Affairs requests that all research students undertaking a Masters by Research, PhD or short term research placement in Australia provide the following documents with their student visa application. Providing these documents with your application reduces the need for the Department to request them from you, and will reduce processing delays for many applicants.

  • Detailed CV, research proposal details, academic transcripts, and details of publications
  • Completed form 1221

The Department of Home Affairs has comprehensive information about student visa requirements and application procedures.

Open Day Student Contact Us
Moving to Wollongong
Graduation Find your course
Awards and Rankings