Collection and use of your personal information
The University of Wollongong (UOW) will collect and use your personal and/or health information for the provision of accommodation services at UOW Residence. This includes for the following purposes:
- Confirming your identity and your eligibility to apply for accommodation.
- Consideration and assessment of any special needs or matters that may be required to support your accommodation needs;
- Verifying any conditions that may be imposed on your Offer of Accommodation;
- Maintaining our relationship with you as a resident of UOW Residences;
- Maintaining records for the proper administration of UOW Residences;
- Complying with legislative and regulatory requirements;
- Maintaining compliance with the UOW Residence Handbook and other associated UOW Policies;
- Conducting our business of providing accommodation and associated services and performing our internal administration and operations;
- Ensuring safe, comfortable, quality and affordable housing options;
- Confirming your identity for purposes of key replacement, access to buildings and other security related matters.
How we collect your information
In most circumstances, we will collect information directly from you.
Information may also be collected from other areas of the University to assist us to provide accommodation services to you (as described above). For example, the Associate Director, Student Residence (or delegate) will obtain your official academic results or confirm your enrolment status for the purpose of confirming your eligibility for UOW accommodation.
Security of your information
UOW has well established administrative processes and robust IT systems to keep your data secure. We take all reasonable precautions to protect information from loss, misuse or alteration.
Disclosure of your personal and/or health information
UOW will exchange your information in the following circumstances:
- The Associate Director, Student Residence (or delegate) will obtain your official academic results or confirm your enrolment status from the University, UOW College or other educational institution that you are attending at that time, for the purpose of confirming the requirements of your offer of accommodation;
- Whilst you reside in UOW Residence, if we become concerned about your behaviour affecting the health and/or safety of any person at the Residence (including yourself), we may:
(i) need to contact and seek assistance from any third party who can reasonably assist in ensuring yours/or another person’s health and safety; and
(ii) exchange your personal and/or health information with that third party;
- Any outstanding fees relating to the provision of accommodation services by us may be referred to a debt collection agency for the recovery of those debts.
We will not otherwise share your personal and/or health information with any other person or party, unless:
- We are required or authorised by law; or
- You have provided your authority for us to do so.
Access to your personal and/or health information
You have the right to access and/or seek amendments to the personal and/or health information that we hold about you. You may do so by contacting Student and Accommodation Services on (02) 4221 3555.
UOW is committed to ensuring that your personal and/or health information is handled in accordance with its privacy obligations. If you are dissatisfied with the way that UOW has handled your personal and/or health information you may contact the University’s Privacy Officer on (02) 4221 4368 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information can be found at www.uow.edu.au/privacy.