Enrolment management

Coursework enrolments

HDR candidates who are admitted to a Master of Philosophy (previously called a Masters by Research), Professional Doctorate or the Doctor of Philosophy (Integrated) are required to complete coursework subjects prior to, commencing the thesis component of their degree. Supervisors requiring HDR students to complete coursework MUST include the subject details in the HDR application approval process so that they can be included in the HDR admission offer letter. Supervisors are responsible for ensuring subjects are compliant with approved course structures.

Re-enrolment process for continuing HDR students

All re-enrolling HDR students will be re-enrolled automatically at the beginning of each academic year by the Graduate Research School, once a satisfactory Annual Progress Report (APR) has been approved by the Associate Dean (Research) or nominee (Refer also to Section 8 of the HDR Handbook).

Enrolment & Candidature Changes

Course completion times

The time limits for course completion for domestic and International higher degree research candidates are specified by minimum and maximum submission dates of the thesis, which is calculated from the session of commencement. International students should also refer to their visa responsibilities in regard to completion times for their HDR course.

Domestic students

Under the Australian Government Research Traingin Program (RTP) all HDR candidates who are Australian citizens or permanent residents will be allocated a Research Training Program (RTP) place.  This means that all domestic students enrolled in a PhD or Masters by Research are covered by a fee offset until they are over time.  An RTP place also means that there are maximum and minimum completion times. 

Full-time maximum and minimum times

  • Doctorate degree by research - maximum of four (4) years full-time equivalent study and may be registered for a minimum of two (2) years full-time equivalent study.

  • Masters by Research - maximum of two (2) years full-time equivalent study and may be registered for a minimum of one (1) year full-time equivalent study.

Part-time maximum and minimum times

  • Doctorate degree by research - maximum of eight (8) years part-time equivalent study and may be registered for a minimum of four (4) years part-time equivalent study.
  • Masters by Research - maximum of four (4) years part-time equivalent study and may be registered for a minimum of two (2) years part-time equivalent study.

International students

Overseas students on a student visa are required to complete their course within the duration as registered for that course on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). The registered duration is determined on the basis of a minimum time to complete the course under a standard full-time study load. 

Doctorate degree by Research

  • A Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for the Doctorate degree by research is typically three (3) years.*

Masters by Research

  • A Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for the Masters by Research is typically 1.5 years.*

There are limited circumstances in which an International student may extend the duration of their CoE. Reasons such as:

  • An approved leave of absence
  • An approved permission to reduce study load on compassionate or compelling grounds
  • An Interventional Strategy
  • Approval of advanced standing toward study.

*If an International HDR student’s CoE expires before the completion of their course they must apply for a new CoE.  Academic advice must be provided to support the extension. 

Please note:  International student tuition fees will remain the same for the duration of the course provide the course is completed in the minimum time stated on the CoE and is fixed at the level quoted in the final offer letter.

Fees and course limits

Domestic HDR students who have accrued an Equivalent Full Time Study Load (EFTSL) of >4 for doctoral students and >2 for masters of philosophy/research students are classified as overtime in their studies and are liable to pay fees for the remainder of their degrees.

An accrued EFTSL is the effective full time study period of a student’s candidature. For example an accrued EFTSL of 4 represents 4 years of full time study or 8 years of part-time study.

The fees are $12,120 per session for full-time students and $6,060 per session for part-time students. Australian citizens are eligible to apply for fee help loans.

Special circumstances

Students who believe they have legitimate special circumstances, as defined in the fees policy, may apply for a sessional Domestic Postgraduate Tuition Award (DPTA). You must attach a letter, of no more than 2 x A4 pages outlining your special circumstances and explaining how these have affected your HDR studies.

See the special circumstances as defined in section 11.3 of the fees policy.

All special circumstances described in your DPTA application must have supporting documentation. See section 12 of the fees policy, which describes valid forms of supporting documentation. Note that if this documentation is not provided then your DPTA application will be rejected.

The DPTA applications are reviewed and approved by the Dean of Graduate Research.

Special circumstances do not include:

  • Lack of knowledge or understanding of this policy or government legislation
  • A failure to follow correct University procedures
  • A person's incapacity to repay a HELP debt

The deadline for DPTA applications is 27 February (for Autumn Session) and 27 July (for Spring Session).

Applications due to delays caused by the impact of COVID19

If your research was impeded by COVID 19, and you are in your final session of study you may apply for an extension to your candidature.

All applications must include the following:

  1. Up to two page statement detailing the impact of COVID19 on your progress and how you have worked to mitigate the impact;
  2. Copy of your Contingency Plan and/or your APR from 2020; and
  3. Supporting statement from your Principal Supervisor.

Purpose of Annual Progress Report (APR)

The Annual Progress Report (APR) is the means by which the University assesses whether the student candidature will continue into the following year.  An APR  from a student and their supervisors are an important and formal means to monitor research student progress.

  • Each report should be a frank appraisal of the student's progress by both the supervisor and the student.
  • The annual report is the means by which the University assesses whether the candidature will continue into the following year.
  • The APR  will also provide an opportunity for you to check and update if necessary the details pertaining to your full-time/part-time status, your thesis title, and your supervisor.

One warning rule:

HDR Students who do not complete section 1 or 3 of the APR by the due dates noted below will be given one written warning. Those students who have not completed Section 1 or 3 by due date may  have their candidature discontinued. Re-enrolment once discontinued, may only be possible by submitting a new application for admission through the online application process. Approval for admission in these cases will be at the Faculty’s discretion.

Students are responsible for checking if their APR has been submitted by the due dates. If your supervisor has not submitted Section 2 for your review please contact them BEFORE the due date. If  your supervisor is unavailable/unable to be contacted please advise GRS IMMEDIATELY.

Directions for completing an Annual Progress Report

An Annual Progress Report will be made available online each year via SOLS. This report needs to be completed on-line by both yourself and your supervisor.

All HDR candidates are required to complete an APR in order to qualify for re-enrolment in the following year. You must complete an APR even if:

  • You are currently on Leave of Absence;
  • You commenced your higher degree research in Spring Session, or
  • You have submitted your thesis and have received a resolution from the Thesis Examination Committee to undertake a further period of study.
  • The Head of Postgraduate Studies and the Associate Dean (Higher Degree Research/Research) of the Faculty also need to approve the APR before it is returned to the Graduate Research School.

HDR Students will not be re-enrolled without a completed APR.  



Actioned by

Due Date

Annual Progress Reviews (APRs) made available on SOLS – HDR candidates to begin discussing their APR with their Supervisor/s at this time

Graduate Research School

Monday 12 September 2022

HDR candidates to submit and forward the final version of Section 1 of their APR to their Principal Supervisor

HDR candidate

Friday 7 October 2022

Principal Supervisor to complete Section 2 and publish and forward to HDR candidate


Friday 28 October 2022

HDR candidate to complete Section 3 and submit their APR to their Head of Postgraduate Studies*

HDR candidate

Friday 11 November 2022

Head of Postgraduate Studies to forward  satisfactory APRs directly to GRS

APRs with the recommendation of Satisfactory with Issues, Borderline and Unsatisfactory need to be sent to the Associate Dean (Higher Degree Research/Research) for their recommendation

Head of Postgraduate Studies

Friday 2 December 2022

The Associate Dean (Higher Degree Research/Research) of the Faculty to publish APRs to the Graduate Research School

Associate Dean (Higher Degree Research/Research)

Friday 20 January 2023

Graduate Research School  processes 2023 HDR re-enrolments and follows up on other APR outcomes, such as, enrolment variations etc.

Graduate Research School

December 2022 to March 2023

*if the APR has been completed by the supervisor at Section 2


Changing thesis title

Candidates wishing to change their thesis title must first seek permission from their supervisor(s). Written notification, counter-signed by the candidate’s supervisor(s) should be forwarded to the Graduate Research School.

Course transfer

Upgrading from Masters or a Professional Doctorate to Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)

To transfer from a Masters by Research degree or a Professional Doctorate to a Doctor of Philosophy in the same field of study the candidate must:

  • Have completed sufficient study in the Masters-Research or Professional Doctorate program at this University to allow an assessment of the capacity of the student to undertake independent research at a Doctoral Level. This would normally mean that candidates admitted to a program greater than 48 credit points would complete required coursework components of the degree and have completed approximately nine months of equivalent full-time candidature of their thesis component1 prior to application to transfer to a PhD;
  • Prove their capacity to undertake independent research by presenting a seminar reporting on the research topic to a group which must include:
    1. the primary supervisor, and/or co-supervisors
    2. a member of the Faculty Research Committee (FRC) or the Head of Postgraduate Studies (HPS); and
    3. an independent academic staff member with appropriate disciplinary expertise to appraise the research and requested transfer

The primary supervisor will prepare the Course transfer report on the candidates seminar which should be signed by the HPS. Once signed the final report will then be forwarded to the Graduate Research School for action.  

Downgrading from Doctor of Philosophy to Masters by Research

Voluntary downgrades: Should a student wish to downgrade from a Doctor of Philosophy to a Masters by Research degree, the Supervisor should approve the transfer and complete the course transfer report to be sent to the Graduate Research School who will adjust the enrolment accordingly.

Forced downgrades: Academic staff wishing to downgrade HDR student’s candidature to a Masters by Research degree as a result of inadequate progress noted in their Research Proposal Review or Probation Report or other process must provide a written report to the Dean of Research for consideration.

Downgrading from a Higher Degree Research to a coursework degree

Under the current higher education legislation, it is not possible for students in a research degree to exit with a coursework degree. Students may transfer between research degrees as detailed above, cease HDR enrolment and apply for admission to a coursework program as a new course. Prior study may be granted as advanced standing, as per Course Rules 5.15-5.18. 

Leave of absence

Leave of Absence (LOA) is a period in which HDR candidates take leave from their studies. LOA may be granted for medical, compassionate or other acceptable reasons. Students should discuss any periods of intended leave with their supervisors. HDR candidates become eligible to apply for LOA at the beginning of the second session of enrolment.

A student enrolled in a HDR course may be granted LOA for one year or, in exceptional circumstances, up to two years, provided that:

  1. The student has the written consent of their supervisor and Head of Postgraduate Studies or in their absence, written approvals from the delegated authority; and
  2. The student submits the completed application along with documented approvals to the Graduate Research School before the census dates of 31st March – Autumn Session and 31st August – Spring Session, of the first session for which leave is sought.

Students will remain liable for fees and/or incur an academic penalty if the leave of absence is submitted after the census date or if necessary approvals are not evidenced with the application. Students are encouraged to submit the applications at least 1 week before the census date to address any administrative delays.

Please note HDR candidates are not enrolled during periods of LOA and the LOA does not count towards their time limits. However, international students should consult with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to address any implications to their Visa or eligibility conditions before applying for an LOA.

Successful applicants will be notified via E-mail/SOLS and their enrolment status will be updated to reflect ‘Leave of Absence’. Students may verify and confirm their enrolment status by logging in to SOLS. 

Refer General Course Rules 6: 39 - 40

LOA application form