Relocating to UOW

Visa information


UOW is focussed on attracting academics from the Illawarra and around the world.

Academics who are not Australian citizens or permanent residents must hold a visa that meets the primary purpose of their visit/appoint, allowing them to undertake their proposed activities/work whether in a paid or unpaid capacity.

UOW may sponsor, employ or invite individuals from overseas within designated occupational categories (as approved by the Australian Federal Government).

Visa options

Visas for visiting academics & occupational trainees

Short-term Business Visa and Visitor Visa options

There are a number of visa options available for short term visits. It is the responsibility of the visa holder to ensure that the visa they apply for meets the primary purpose of their visit.

Visiting Researchers should not apply for a tourist or visitor visa if the primary purpose of their visit is collaborative research. Other short term options are available. 

Related: Information about visitor visas

Student visas

Prior to engaging a student for paid employment, the student must provides evidence that they have the right to undertake paid employment.

Not all student visas have the same work conditions. The student must provide either their visa grant notice or a Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) check as well as a confirmation of enrollment (COE) which is linked to the Department of Home Affairs database and outlines the visa conditions for the student.

If the student is unable to provide this, you can ask the student to contact the University’s Immigration Consultant who will conduct a VEVO on the student’s behalf. The University must have the visa holder’s permission to undertake the VEVO. 

Related: Information about VEVO

Visa nomination and application costs

Where UOW has agreed to sponsor an individual's visa nomination, the cost is passed on to the relevant work area. Refer to the Visa pricing estimator for up to date information.

All costs associated with the visa application are the responsibility of the individual. In addition to the visa application fees, there may be costs associated with visa application fees, health and character checks and health insurance.

For more information


On-campus (Wollongong only)

Accommodation Services Division manages short and long term accommodation (subject to availability).

Contact UOW Housing Services to assist.

Off-campus (all campuses)

Short-term: There is a range of accommodation options available in close proximity of all our campuses. Wollongong main campus has many styles of accommodation available.

Renting: Various types of accommodation are available for rent close to our campuses. The rental market is competitive, so preparation and organisation is key.

Buying: Temporary residents of Australia must apply to the Foreign Investment Review Board prior to purchasing property in Australia. Please read through the rules and regulations carefully.


Medicare is the Australian medical scheme that gives Australian residents access to healthcare.

You are eligible for Medicare benefits if you:

  • are an Australian or New Zealand citizen
  • are an Australian permanent resident
  • have applied for permanent residency (some conditions apply)
  • are covered by a Ministerial Order
  • have a Resident Return visa
  • are covered by a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with another country

Temporary residents

Most temporary visa holders are not eligible for Medicare. If you are not covered under Medicare, or do not have access to Reciprocal Health Care, then you must have adequate health cover for the whole of your stay to be granted this visa. You and any secondary applicants are personally and financially responsible for any healthcare costs while in Australia.

Medical insurance helps limit your financial liability. Your health cover should cover you for medically necessary treatment, including transport.

The University does not endorse any particular health provider. It is highly recommended that you review the information available at When choosing a private health provider, choose the one that suits yours and your families individual needs.

Financial information

To ensure that you can be paid, you will need to organise your finances opening a bank account and applying for a Tax File Number.


Many banking options are available. Here are some points to consider:

  • Individual financial institutions may offer different services and have different charges, so compare them to ensure your banking needs are met.
  • Depending on your choice of financial institution, you may be able to set up an account before arriving in Australia. They may require further information from you before allowing withdrawals to be made.


You will need an Australian Tax File Number (TFN).

You can only apply for a TFN after you have arrived in Australia.

The Australian Taxation Office is the Federal Government tax collection agency. You must pay tax on employment income earned in Australia: UOW will automatically deduct tax from your gross earnings when you are paid.

You will need to lodge a tax return every financial year (1 July to 30 June). You can lodge your tax return yourself or through a tax agent.

Educating your family


Wollongong has numerous child care centres which can meet your requirements from just a few hours per week to full-time care.

Childcare places are in high demand, so consider registering with several centres as soon as your needs arise.

You can compare your options.

Finding the right centre

Financial assistance

Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible to receive Australian Government Child Care Benefit -- check with the Department of Human Services

Kids Uni

UOW's Kids Uni provides child care and after-school care for children aged 0-15.


There are both public and private school options available.

Public schools (government) generally have minimal costs, although fees may apply for non-residents.

Private schools set their own fees. Contact each school directly for information about enrolment and fees.

Looking to join UOW?

Apply now Contact us