Financial assistance for international students

You're away from home in a brand new place - living, learning and leading a whole new life. Uni students do tend to struggle with money in general, let alone when you're new to Australia and the way our services and supports operate. Check out the financial support services and resources available to you below which can help you manage your money and stay on top of it all. The best thing you can do is stay informed on how money related matters work in Australia and at UOW.

Costs of study and living

Textbooks, subscriptions, technology and equipment - you'll receive details about what you need in each of your subjects and as part of your degree when you start and as you progress through university. These costs can add up so make sure to use the resources below to educate yourself and assess what you'll need. 

International students may be eligible for the NSW Government Energy Accounts Payment Assistance (EAPA) Scheme. The EAPA scheme is available to people having difficulty paying their household energy bills because of a short-term financial crisis or emergency, such as reduced income due to COVID-19.


Consider cost-saving options such as finding your textbooks second hand at the UOW Alumni Bookshop or on UOW Students Buy and Sell

We could assume that seeing you're already at UOW, you are across your billing options for tuition and associated costs (including SSAF, accommodation, health insurance and administrative fees), however just in case you're not, make sure to check out your options and responsibilities as an international student:

Managing money as a student can be tough, we get it! Living the university life can come with a range of expenses from books, concert tickets, coffee, accommodation, tech, socialising and more. Learning techniques to save your hard-earned cash is essential for a uni student on a budget. Here are some resources to get you in the right mindset:

Financial counselling

Is your budget not working out like you planned? Struggling to save and not sure how to go about it? That’s okay! There are a range of free and confidential financial counselling services to help you get back on track. There are quite a few because...student life is tough at times and even though you might not realise it, a lot of students go through what you're going through. So reach out and get some support. 


Legal support

Maybe your financial stress is related to issues you're having with accommodation costs, employment rights, a car accident or legal charges you are facing? If so, UOW has a legal clinic that provides free, confidential legal advice to current students at UOW. If you need support or advice, get in touch and talk it through with them.

Jobs on and off campus (UOW Careers & Employability)

There are many ways to seek out casual work within UOW and outside of it - you just need to get in with the Careers & Employability (formerly Careers Central) team who can prepare you for the Australian workplace and increase your awareness of current job vacancies. 

They can also help you really focus on what happens after uni - your future career (here or abroad). Chat with the experts about where you want to go.

  • UOW Jobboard - the perfect place to start your search with listings for casual work, internships and vacation work, graduate programs and more. 
  • Jobs On Campus - make yourself stand out to employers (who have current vacancies) by becoming a member of the JOC talent pool
  • Book a Career Chat - if you're not sure what job suits you best now or in the future, or simply want to chat about how best to develop your resume and personal brand, why not chat to our experts at Careers & Employability? You can make an appointment and chat online or over the phone. 

Want to gain workplace experience or an internship in Australia?

Careers & Employability have work integrated learning subjects specifically for international students. These are unpaid so won't help you with money right now, but will build your resume and experience for future work.