Preparing for placement
- Verification steps
- Additional required checks
- Inherent requirements
- Conduct and expectations
Verification can be a lengthy process, start now!
Prior to commencing study:
- Read the NSW Health Student Verification Pack and use this as a guide to complete the following steps.
- Obtain and hold a valid National Police Certificate (NPC) for the duration of your placement/s. National Police Certificates (or National Police Checks) are available through all State or Territory Police Forces, the Australian Federal Police or a number of Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) accredited bodies. If however, you are planning to attend placements in the ACT, it is recommended that you obtain your NPC through either NSW Police or Australian Federal Police (and not any of the other ACIC providers listed). If you have a charge or a conviction listed on your National Police Certificate, you must also apply for a risk assessment. If you are an International Student, in addition to an Australian NPC, you must also provide a National Police Certificate from your home country (or any country you have resided in for more than 6 months since turning 18 years of age). If this is not possible, you must sign the Overseas Student Statutory Declaration. Please note, this Declaration can only be completed after arriving in NSW.
- Download a copy of the Vaccination Record Card and take it to your GP or NSW Health Staff Clinic for them to complete (hard copies are also available from Wollongong Campus Student Hub 41 or Regional Campus Admin).
- Collate evidence of your vaccinations and immunisation documentation.
- Complete the NSW Health forms as included in the NSW Health Student Verification Pack, i.e. Code of Conduct, Appendix 6: Undertaking/Declaration Form, the two page Tuberculosis (TB) Assessment Tool and the Blood Borne Virus Student Declaration NB: Students in Medicine are required to be screened for Blood Borne Viruses every three years.
- Take the ‘Verification Readiness’ Quiz on the NSW Health Verification Readiness Moodle site.
- Review the verification checklist on page 3 of the NSW Health Student Verification Pack.
- SCAN all documents into PDF format and email them to the UOW Verification Team firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your Full Name, Student Number and your Course Discipline in all correspondence with the UOW Verification Team
Upon receipt of your documentation the UOW Verification Team will in turn pass all documents onto the NSW Health Verification team. It is the NSW Health Verification Team that make the final decision and determine if a student meets the requirements.
Verification can be a lengthy process. Start early, do not leave it to the last minute as if you are not verified you cannot commence placement.
It is each student’s responsibility to keep the originals of all verification documents, even after being fully verified. Students may be asked to present these prior commencing placement in a NSW Health facility.
- Frequently asked questions
- Need help? Email us remember to include your Full Name, Student Number and your Course Discipline in all correspondence with the UOW Verification Team.
Commencing students are required to bring the following documents along to the scheduled orientation session.
- Completed senior first aid certificate:
Successful applicants must have completed and hold a current approved First Aid Certificate (minimum 14hr training content) prior to commencement of study. Evidence of this certificate must be presented on the first day of the program. No exceptions will be made to this requirement for entry regardless of previous work experience or qualifications.
Examples of relevant courses are:
St John’s Ambulance - Provide First Aid 2-day
Red Cross - Provide First Aid 2-day
- Complete an online self-study module for all Health Practitioners called Hand Hygiene Australia (HHA):
This is a compulsory activity for all students, regardless of their prior learning and experience. These should be completed at the start of each Phase at med school and at the beginning of each year once qualified, for the rest of your clinical career.
Phase 1 Instructions:
Go to Hand Hygiene Australia home page
Complete the Module prior to commencing Phase 1. Download, save and print the certificate of completion.
- Working with Children Check:
To be cleared for placement and various community activities that may occur outside of NSW Health facilities, the GM requires all commencing 2020 MD students to hold a valid Working with Children Check.
- Signed UOW Code of Practice student experience form
- Signed GM Confidentiality Undertaking form
For further questions regarding additional required checks contact Sarah Perez.
All placement information will be provided to students once they commence their studies.
If you have any questions regarding your placement, please contact the placement team.
All commencing students must read the below document thoroughly. If you believe you do not meet the inherent requirements for studying medicine, please contact Dr Darryl McAndrew, Head of Students, via email at email@example.com as soon as possible.
The University has in place policies and practices which outline what is expected of you whilst you are on your placement.
If you have any difficulties whilst on your placement, please contact your relevant placement coordinator for assistance.
Please view the policies and practices which apply to students when on placement.