Domestic undergraduate fees

Tuition fees

Undergraduate places for eligible domestic students at UOW are Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP).

This means that, for eligible domestic students, tuition fees are made up of two parts:

  1. an Australian Government contribution (for some courses, up to three quarters of the tuition fee is funded by the Australian Government)
  2. a student contribution (which may be deferred and repaid later via a HECS-HELP loan).

Enrolled students 

Enrolled students can review subject costs in SOLS. Access your enrolment record, and click on the subject code. 

The Non Weighted Student Contribution Amounts will list the student contribution amount for the subject based on the relevant Commonwealth Supported Student (CSS Scheme) for when you commenced your course (for example Post-2010 or Post-2021) 

  • Hint: to confirm your CSS Scheme go to SOLS - Fees - HELP Loan Option and scroll to the bottom. Your Current CSS Scheme will be listed for your course. 

Future students 

Future students can review student contribution amounts per subject.

  1. Go to the UOW Handbook
  2. Click VIEW THE NEW HANDBOOK button
  3. Navigate to your course of interest on the UOW Handbook by Faculty or Study Area. Alternatively, search by subject code or course. Hint: if you search by subject go to straight to Step 6.
  4. Go to the Course Structure section on this page and click Expand all
  5. Click onto the subject code
  6. Go to the menu on the right hand side under “Student Contribution amount” click Student Fee to view for that subject.
  7. The Non Weighted Student Contribution Amounts will list the student contribution amount for the subject based on the relevant CSS Scheme for when students commenced the course (for example Post-2010 or Post-2021)

Note: For a flexible or prescribed program, clickable subject codes are generally listed inside course structure. For courses with majors or minors, you may need to click through to a major or minor before finding a clickable subject code.

Aside from tuition fees, and to contribute to providing student services and amenities, undergraduate students also need to pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF), and depending on the subject, additional non-tuition costs (e.g. lab coats, stethoscopes, text books).

Understanding your student contribution

The HECS-HELP system allows eligible students to defer payment of their student contributions through a loan from the Australian Government. Deferred repayment of these loans means you only have to start repaying your HECS-HELP loan when your income reaches a minimum threshold.

In 2020, the Australian Government introduced a combined HELP loan limit, which is a cap on what you can borrow from the Australian Government to cover the costs of your tuition fees. The Australian Government's Study Assist website has more information about HECS-HELP loans.

Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) are available for Australian and New Zealand citizens and holders of an Australian permanent visa (including humanitarian).

HECS-HELP Loans are available to students enrolled in a CSP, who are either:

  • an Australian citizen.
  • a New Zealand citizen New Zealand Special Category Visa holder, who meets the long-term residency requirements and will be a resident in Australia for the duration of their unit.
  • a permanent humanitarian visa holder, who will be a resident in Australia for the duration of their unit.

You must also:

  • meet the Tax File Number requirements
  • meet the USI requirements (for new students commencing a course of study on or after 1 January 2021)
  • have enough available HELP balance to pay your student contribution amounts

The Australian Government's Study Assist website has more information about eligibility.

New domestic students from 2021 must have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) to study in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) and access Commonwealth Financial Assistance (e.g. HECS HELP, FEE HELP, OS HELP) in a course of study. Visit the USI website for further information.

To apply for a HECS-HELP loan when you enrol, eligible students will need:

  • a tax file number (TFN) 
  • a unique student identifier (USI), from January 2021.

Your student contribution payment type depends on when you're paying.

  • Pay later. If you are eligible for a HECS-HELP loan, you will be able to select this option during your enrolment. For more information, visit the the Australian Government's Study Assist website.
  • Pay now. Students able to pay now may pay by the census date (the last date to pay your fee for the session) via any of UOW's payment options. Check your fees statement in SOLS as each session as a census date.

Learn more about Census date (requires login)

Your payment type also depends on whether your fees are up front, partial up front or deferred. Find out more about HECS-HELP loans and payment types.

Student Services and Amenities Fees (SSAF) may also be deferred under a different loan type (SA-HELP). Find out more about this deferment option.

Enrolled students can access their fee statement via SOLS.

Fee statements show a breakdown of all charges and payments involving your tuition fees (except for any fees which have been deferred to a HECS-HELP Loan).

To check your fees online (updated every 24 hours), log onto SOLS, and select 'fee statement'. SOLS will display any outstanding balances.

The Commonwealth Assistance Notice Statement (CAN) is a summary of payments and deferrals made by a student who is receiving any form of Commonwealth assistance (such as a Commonwealth Supported Place).

  • Find your CAN. Enrolled students are able to access their CAN on SOLS 28 days after the census date for each study period.
  • Have a problem with your CAN? If you have any issues or errors with your CAN statement, or need help, contact Student Central.

Visit the Australian Government's Study Assist website for more information about CAN.

Tuition fee refunds for domestic students are administered under the legislative guidelines of the Higher Education Support Act and the UOW Fees Policy.

You may be eligible for a refund, depending on when you withdraw from subjects, and other circumstances. Find out more about refunds for domestic students.

When you enrol in units of study ('subjects' at UOW), you become liable for student contributions (or tuition fees) as soon as census date occurs. This means that if you withdraw from a subject before census date, you're not liable for it (charges are automatically reversed). Census date varies depending on which session you are enrolled in and is listed in the UOW key dates page.

Domestic student fees help