What are Graduate Recruitment Programs?
Graduate programs are formal, structured programs generally within larger business and government organisations requiring students to go through a formal recruitment process including online applications, interviews, psychometric testing assessment centres, which can last up to 6-9 months. Most graduate program roles commence around February though some may start mid-year.
What will I do?
Work as a graduate can be extremely varied. To get an insider look into what you might be doing as a graduate, Forage (formeraly InsideSherpa) has collaborated with leading companies such as KPMG, NSW Government, MinterEllison and Commonwealth Bank to develop virtual internship programs. Completing a virtual internship program is great addition to your resume and helps build the practical skills employers are looking for in a graduate.
What are the benefits of Graduate Programs?
- One to two years of on-the-job learning and experience, formal training and individual support to ensure you’re industry ready
- Part of a graduate team with buddies and mentors all there to help you succeed
- Opportunity to work in a number of different roles during a rotational experience which will give you a feel for what it is like to work in different areas of the business and a better understanding of how the business operates
- The potential for a permanent role within the organisation on completion of the program
When do I need to start applying?
The majority of graduate recruitment occurs during the first half of the year; February – May, with many of the application dates closing by the end of April. Programs are open to students to apply in the last year of their degree (UG and often PG) and also up to 2 years after graduation (note, each organisation’s requirements differ so check their websites).
If you want to commence in a graduate program upon completion of your degree, it’s best to start preparing and researching possible programs in your penultimate (the year before your final) year of study. This may seem early but will prepare you to commence applying for graduate programs at the start of your final year of study.
Where do I find them?
- Top 75 Graduate Employers – The definitive guide to Australia’s most sought after graduate employers
- Grad Connection – Graduate programs, internships and vacation programs
- Grad Recruit – Graduate jobs and career advice
- Grad Australia – Graduate programs, internships and vacation programs
- UOW Job Board – Graduate jobs posted through UOW Job Board
- NSW Government Grad Jobs – NSW Government graduate jobs, cadetships, scholarships and work experience
Need help with your application?
- Check out Career Accelerate for information on all aspects of the graduate recruitment process, including psychometric testing and assessment centres
- Perfect your interview technique with ‘Everything you need to know to ace the interview and get the grad job of your dreams’.
- Access discipline specific resources.
- Book a careers consultation to discuss your resume and application with an expert