UOW's Occupational Health and Safety and Occupational Hygiene degrees have been developed in conjunction with industry, focusing on workplace hazards and how to foster a safer working environment. All programs have a flexible mode of delivery.
Health & Safety
Get up to 75% off your fees in 2023
In 2023, the Government will pay up to 75% of the course fees for eligible Domestic students studying a UOW postgraduate degree in Occupational Health and Safety. There’s never been a better time to get started on your next qualification.ELIGIBILITY & FEES
Degrees and specialisations
- Master of Occupational Health and Safety Extension
- Master of Occupational Health and Safety
- Graduate Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
- Graduate Certificate of Occupational Health and Safety
- Master of Occupational Hygiene
- Graduate Certificate in Occupational Hygiene
The Master of Occupational Health and Safety Extension provides an integrated teaching and research program. By promoting the highest level of safety, this program inspires the next generation of occupational health and safety professionals. In addition to the core subjects, the Extension program provides the opportunity to specialise in either health promotion or OHS research.
The Master of Occupational Health and Safety provides you with the knowledge and skills to allow you to confidently address complex workplace occupational health and safety issues through technical knowledge and application. You will gain a high level of evidence-based professional practice in occupational health and safety, allowing application of those principles to a practical project.
The Graduate Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety consist of eight subjects and can be studied part-time. This degree provides an accredited introductory program of study in the area of occupational health and safety. It also provides a pathway for the higher level Master of Occupational Health and Safety.
The Graduate Certificate of Occupational Health and Safety consists of four subjects and can be studied part-time. This professional introductory program is an accredited qualification. It also provides a pathway to the higher level Graduate Diploma and Master of Occupational Health and Safety.
The Master of Occupational Hygiene is an accredited degree that uses science and engineering to measure the extent of worker exposure, and to design and implement appropriate control strategies to prevent ill health caused by the working environment. The specialised knowledge and skills developed throughout the course will allow you to confidently address the complex nature of workplace occupational hygiene issues.
The Graduate Certificate in Occupational Hygiene is an introductory program to occupational hygiene and an alternate entry point for the Master of Occupational Hygiene for applicants without a science-based degree.
Occupational health and safety and occupational hygiene are rewarding careers that will allow you to take a leading role in addressing the complex nature of the workplace.
Be inspired by industry-leading teachers
- Our academics – your teachers – are at the forefront of their specialisations. They are published authors, expert researchers and accredited professionals, who are passionate about teaching and learning.
Earn a promotion or pay rise
- In 2019 the median salary of all postgraduate coursework graduates was $85,300, while the median salary of all undergraduates employed full-time was $62,600. (GOS)
- UOW is among the top two in Australia for short and medium-term employment rates for postgraduate students. In the short-term, 93.3% of UOW postgraduates were employed full-time (above the national average of 86%) and in the medium-term, 96.8% were employed full-time (above the national average of 93%). (QILT GOS-L)
Flexible study options
- Study while you work: Our OH&S and Occupational Hygiene courses combine online course content with 3-5 days of on-campus block-teaching sessions focused on the exploration and application of the subject material. The on-campus component utilises a range of campus resources, including UOW’s well-resourced OH&S laboratory.
- Many of our students choose to come to UOW because we offer face-to-face classes – they find this method beneficial as they can meet other students with similar interests, network, share experiences, speak to their lecturers and make the most of our on-campus experience.
Become an industry-leader
- All of our programs have been developed in conjunction with relevant industry sectors to address the complex nature of occupational health and safety in the workplace.
I’ve never met more passionate academics than those who taught me at UOW. They're so enthusiastic about their field of work which excited me about my career. The block weeks were great. The flexibility allowed me to continue working full-time while studying part-time. I was successful in beginning my occupational health and safety career when I started this course, through networking and building my professional connections.