How to apply

Applying to study for a postgraduate degree at UOW is quick, easy and secure with the UOW Apply Online portal. How you apply will depend on your student type and if you are applying for a coursework or research degree.

Postgraduate coursework

Entry into most UOW postgraduate coursework programs requires a Bachelor degree or equivalent. 

If you do not have a Bachelor degree but have extensive and relevant work experience, you may be eligible for direct entry into one of our postgraduate programs, such as a Graduate Certificate.

Before you apply, please check the requirements, intakes, and closing dates for your chosen degree on the postgraduate coursework Course Finder.

Application steps

  1. Find the course you would like to apply for.
  2. Make sure you satisfy the entry requirements listed in Course Finder.
  3. You can save your application at any point and come back to complete it later. For a small number of courses, there are special entry requirements.


Higher degree research (HDR)

PhD, Professional Doctorate, Master of Philosophy, Bachelor of Research and Master of Research applicants can apply directly to UOW.

Before you apply, please check the requirements, intakes, and closing dates for your chosen degree on the Postgraduate Research Course Finder.

All applicants for a Research Scholarship must submit two Referee's Reports (Online, to be completed by the referees).


What documents do I need to submit?

You will need to provide evidence of any current, partially completed, or fully completed academic qualifications which are relevant to the course you are applying for. These will normally include:

  • Electronic or scanned copies of academic records, mark sheets, and/or transcripts for secondary or tertiary studies currently enrolled in, or previously undertaken.
  • Official certified English translations are required for documents in another language.
  • Transcripts must show all subjects undertaken, grades obtained (including failures), stages reached, or confirm that academic requirements of the course have been completed.
  • Digital academic documents issued via My eQuals are also accepted. To submit My eQuals digital academic documents, please follow the below instructions:
  1. Generate a link to your My eQuals digital academic document(s) – do not nominate an expiry date
  2. Paste the link into a Word document
  3. If you added a PIN to the link, please ensure you note the PIN next to the link
  4. Where you have more than one relevant My eQuals digital document to submit, provide a link for each, ensuring you label each link clearly
  5. Save the Word document on your computer. Note: a document must not be bigger than 2 MB for undergraduate/postgraduate course applications and not bigger than 5 MB for HDR applications. Acceptable formats are: pdf, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, jpg, jpeg, tif and tiff.
  6. Upload the Word document to your UOW admissions application

    Please only submit My eQuals digital documents according to the instructions outlined above. The My eQuals portal offers other options in which to share documents, however, those options are not recommended by UOW.



Copies of academic records, mark sheets or transcripts for studies previously undertaken must be provided at the time of application (either in hard copy or electronically). English translations are also required for documents in another language. The transcript must show all subjects undertaken, grades and stages reached or qualifications gained.

For domestic applicants, a photocopied document must be certified as a true copy of the original by:

  • An authorised officer in the admissions office at any tertiary institution
  • A member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia or the Australian Society of Certified Practicing Accountants, or the National Institute of Accountants or the Association of Taxation and Management Accountants or Registered Tax Agents
  • A bank branch manager (not in a bank travel centre)
  • A barrister, solicitor or patent attorney
  • A police officer of the rank of sergeant or above
  • A post office manager
  • A principal of an Australian high or primary school; or
  • A justice of the peace

The person certifying the photocopies must:

  • Write on the copy: “This appears to be a true copy of the original document sighted by me”, and
  • Sign the document and print your name, address, telephone number, profession/occupation, date verified; and
  • Affix the official stamp or seal of the verifier’s organisation on the copy, if the organisation has such a stamp.

International students, and students who do not have English as their first language, will need to provide evidence of English language proficiency, in line with the requirements of the course (as shown on the Course Finder page of your chosen course – Admissions, Key Dates & Fees - International). See UOW’s English language requirements for details of what evidence is required. 

Students may seek or credit for subjects and studies already completed.

You will need to provide a copy of detailed subject descriptions with your application.

Important things to remember

Evidence of Australian/New Zealand citizenship/Permanent Residency must be provided with your application, e.g. current passport or birth certificate.

 If you have changed your name, or any of your documents show a name that is different from the one that you have used in your application, you must present evidence of the change (marriage certificate, deed poll, statutory declaration).

If you have a disability and would like advice or assistance with your studies, please see Student Accessibility and Inclusion

In 2024, all postgraduate coursework degrees (excluding the Executive MBA) are Commonwealth Supported. This means the Government will subsidise a part of your fees, up to 75%. We have many fee assistance options available to students.

Other Information

Provided you have submitted all relevant information, assessment generally takes up to two (2) weeks to process. However if you are applying for credit transfer, have not provided all the necessary documents, or it is not clear whether you meet entry requirements, applications may take a little longer.

If you have applied by the due date shown on the Course Finder page, you will receive an outcome in time for the start of the session you’ve applied for. If you have applied after the due date, we will still do our very best to get you an outcome before start of session. If this isn’t possible, we will assess you for the next intake.

Once your application has been assessed, you will be notified by email.

The University of Wollongong is committed to protecting your privacy. The Privacy Policy provides more information, or you can call 1300 367 869 (within Australia), or +612 4221 3218 (from overseas) to speak to our Future Student Team. 

You will need to have popup blockers turned off while you submit your online application.

If you have any questions or need assistance with your application, Future Students can help you.

If you have a disability and require advice or assistance, you can also contact Student Accessibility and Inclusion for support.