Sponsorship faqs

Sponsored students most frequently asked questions

Q. Am I a sponsored student?

You are a sponsored student if your tuition fees are paid by an external government or organisation and UOW invoices your sponsor directly for your tuition fees. If an organisation or company gives you money to pay for your tuition fees, you are not considered a sponsored student by UOW's definition.

Q. I need UOW official documentation, where can I get it?

Contact Student Central or visit the Student Central site for further information on Official UOW Documentation.

Q. I have outstanding fees, can I receive official documentation and/or graduate?

No. You will not be able to receive any official UOW documentation or graduate until the outstanding debt has been paid.

Q. What information are you allowed to provide my sponsor?

Please revisit the acceptance agreement for sponsored students which outlines the terms of your sponsorship and the information that can be provided to your sponsor.

Q. I'm a PHD student and my sponsorship has expired and I cannot apply for an extension - can I apply for UOW funding?

If you are in your final session of your PHD you may be able to apply for an International Postgraduate Tuition Award (IPTA) (final session IPTA). Please contact your supervisor directly to initiate this process.

Q. How do I register to be an international sponsored student?

When accepting your offer to study, you must provide a Financial Guarantee letter from your sponsor to the University of Wollongong International Admissions Team. If the Financial Guarantee is approved, you will be granted a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and be registered as a sponsored student.

Q. What is a financial guarantee?

A 'Financial Guarantee’ is an official declaration from your sponsor, on their letterhead, stating that they will sponsor you for study at the University of Wollongong. The financial guarantee letter must include: sponsoring organisation's name and contact details, your name and student number, university name (i.e. University of Wollongong), your program name (and major if relevant), details of the sponsorship (i.e. commencing and finishing dates of the sponsorship, tuition fees, SAF overseas student health cover single/family) and an invoicing contact (name, position, address). The financial guarantee letter must be signed and dated by an appropriately authorised representative of your sponsor.

Q. How do I pay my fees as a sponsored student?

If you have a valid Financial Guarantee, the University of Wollongong will send your sponsor an invoice for your tuition fees each session. Your sponsor will then pay the invoice directly to UOW. If your sponsor pays you directly, you are responsible for paying your tuition fees by the University census date. You can visit the fees and assistance website for more information.

Q. My sponsor doesn't pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SAF) - how do I pay my SAF and when is it due?

The fee is charged at the start of each main session: Autumn Session: due 1st April and Spring Session: due 1st September. Check your fee statement in SOLS and see payment options for UOW Students.

Q. I want to course transfer, what do I need to do?

Sponsored students require approval from their sponsor before a course transfer can be processed by UOW. This approval should be in the form of a new financial guarantee which contains the new course name/code and relevant dates. Once you receive approval, please visit the enrolment assistance site for instructions on how to apply for a course transfer. Please also provide the Scholarships and Sponsorships Officer with a copy of your updated financial guarantee.

Q. Do I need to enrol full-time?

As an international student and as a sponsored student, you must maintain a full-time study load throughout your program. You are responsible for complying with your student visa conditions as well as any agreement you may have with your sponsor.

Q. How can I send my sponsor my academic results?

If you are registered as a sponsored student and UOW has an agreement with your sponsor, we will send your academic results to them at the end of each semester.

Q. My sponsorship is about to end but I haven't completed my program. Can I apply for an extension?

You will need to submit a new Financial Guarantee Letter from your sponsor for the additional time required that covers you through to your new course end date. Your sponsor may require an extension letter before they can issue you with an additional financial guarantee. The Scholarships and Sponsorships team can assist you with this letter if required.