What are course subjects?

When you enrol in your course you will also need to also enrol in subjects before each session. Your UOW course is made up of a combination of subjects and each is worth a certain number of credit points. You need to complete a total number of credit points to qualify for your qualification, including core subjects and/or a major (if applicable). For example, a student studying a Bachelor of Mathematics will need to complete 144 credit points (including core subjects) in order to graduate.

All information relating to your course requirements can be found in the Course Handbook. It's important that when you refer to the course handbook throughout your degree, you must always refer to the handbook for the year that you commenced your studies. For example, a student who commenced their course in 2016, will always refer to the 2016 Course Handbook throughout their degree.

Different levels of subjects

100, 200, 300 and 400 level subjects refer to first, second, third and fourth-year subjects respectively. For example: ACCY111 refers to the subject ‘Accounting Fundamentals in Society’ which is a first-year subject. Postgraduate subjects will have higher numbers like 800 and 900 level subjects e.g. MARK935 refers to ‘Marketing Strategy’.

Provided the subjects form part of your course structure, you can undertake subjects at any level, in any particular year, providing you have met the prerequisites for that subject. For example, in your third year of study you may be taking 100-level and 200-level subjects as well as 300-level subjects. Normally, in your first year at University you would enrol in 100-level subjects.

Subject outlines

Your Subject Outline is the key to your subject. It contains everything you need to know about your subject including a description, attendance requirements, assessment information and consultation times for your teachers. Subject outlines should be available from within Moodle once you have enrolled in that subject and the session has commenced.

If you have any questions about subject outlines, please contact your faculty central.

Majors and specialisations

A major in a bachelor degree is an approved combination of subjects with a minimum value of 1/3 of your total degree. For some courses the degree major is explicit in the course title, for example Bachelor of Nursing, whilst in other courses you will need to select a major study from those available within the degree. In many courses it is possible to do more than one major. You do not have to nominate a major when you first enrol in your course but you should regularly discuss your enrolment pattern with an academic adviser throughout your studies, to ensure that you have selected the correct subjects for your intended major.

Majors for each course are listed in the Course Handbook.

A specialisation in a postgraduate degree is an approved combination of subjects to achieve focus in that specific area. For some courses the degree specialisation is explicit in the course title, for example Master of Teaching Primary, whilst in other courses you may need to select a specialisation from those available within the degree. Generally speaking, you should be selecting your specialisation (if applicable) when applying but definitely prior to enrolling as the specialisation you choose will generally determine the subjects that you will need to select when enrolling. You can discuss your enrolment pattern with an academic advisor throughout your studies to ensure that you are completing the right subjects for your preferred specialisation.


For undergraduate students, a minor has a minimum value of 24 credit points, with 12 of these made up of 200 level subjects.

Minors for each course are listed in the Course Handbook.

Declaring or changing a major or minor

Declaring or changing most majors and minors can be done in SOLS. Simply select 'Major Maintenance' from the left-hand menu and follow the prompts.  

Some majors and minors will require Faculty approval. If you cannot select your choice in SOLS, the Declare or Change Major Minor form can be completed and sent to your relevant Faculty (below) for consideration: