Who is a non-school leaver student?

UOW considers non-school leaver students (also known as 'mature age students') to be:

  • over the age of 18 and not currently completing the HSC or IB; and
  • an Australian citizen; or holder of a permanent humanitarian visa residing in Australia for the completion of their studies; or a New Zealand citizen; or holder of other permanent visas.

What if I don't have an ATAR or it isn't high enough?

There are many options for mature age/non-school leaver students who do not meet the ATAR requirement, or did not finish to a Year 12 level at high school.

Read more about pathway programs.

How do I apply to UOW?

Mature age/non-school leavers can apply directly to the University for the majority of courses. For degrees in Nursing, Education and Medicine, you will need to apply through UAC (Universities Admissions Centre).

Read more about our application process.

What support is there at UOW for non-school leaver students?

UOW offers a wide range of free programs to help you excel academically, including online modules that will help you navigate university. UOW's Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS), led by current students who have already successfully completed the subject, and a wide variety of workshops and events will also help you succeed.

Learn more about our support services.

What's the difference between lectures and tutorials?

A lecture is where a professor or other academic staff member present course material to a large group of students. Tutorials are smaller classes where you put into practice the material you’ve learnt in the lecture and the associated readings for the subject. Some degrees might have practicals, seminars or laboratory classes as well.

Learn more about UOW lectures and classes.

How many hours per week is uni?

Generally you’ll need to be on campus for 3-5 hours per week, per subject. Allow an extra 6-10 hours per week, per subject for reading, studying and assignment work.

Full-time study is considered as four subjects per academic session (14 weeks) or 12-20 hours per week on campus.

How much does it cost to study at UOW?

University fees vary depending on the course you are studying. All UOW undergraduate/Bachelor degrees are Commonwealth supported places.

In most cases non-school leaver students qualify for HECS-HELP, so you won’t need to pay university fees up front. However, be sure to budget for the cost of textbooks.

Read about UOW fees and assistance.

Can non-school leaver students apply for scholarships?

Absolutely. UOW offers a variety of scholarships open to non-school leaver students.

Learn more about scholarship categories and criteria here.