What can I study?

Studying at UOW will allow you to broaden your outlook on life, and we have a number of courses and degrees that you can choose.

UOW offers internationally recognised courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. The first step in applying to university is to identify what level of education you are eligible to undertake.

Undergraduate Bachelor degree (3–4 years)

This is the first level of university education. Many programs allow you to choose elective subjects across different disciplines so you can develop a range of skills and knowledge that meet your own unique needs.

Our popular double degrees let you specialise twice, so you can pursue your interests and further your career prospects. And a double major allows you to fine-tune your focus — you don't have to sacrifice one talent or interest for another.

In some fields you won’t even need to make a decision about what to major in before you start. Once you’ve decided on, and enrolled in, a degree try to pick first-year subjects that will help keep your options open in case you have a change of heart.

For ideas and inspiration, go to Course Finder and click on ‘Undergraduate


A postgraduate degree is the second level of university education, and offers the choice of coursework or research programs.

Masters by coursework

Most of a coursework Masters degree consists of coursework subjects in a particular discipline or professional area. In some cases, to be eligible for this degree you must have completed a recognised Bachelor degree in the same discipline, but some Masters accept applicants from any discipline or offer pathway options.

PhD and Masters by research

By undertaking one of these programs, students produce and submit a written thesis that makes a contribution to a body of knowledge and demonstrates your capacity to conduct independent research.

Entry requirements vary. You should first and then or academic unit that conducts research in that area.

Graduate Diploma and Graduate Certificate

A 1-year Graduate Diploma can allow you to take an alternative direction to your Bachelor degree. A 6-month Graduate Certificate is for students who have academic qualifications and professional experience, other than a Bachelor degree, that's relevant to the area they wish to study. Both qualifications could lead to entry into a Masters degree.

Bridging courses

If you need background in a particular area, you can complete a UOW bridging course prior to starting lectures and tutorials.

We offer bridging courses in:

  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Physics

 Alternatively, you can call UOW Future Students on 1300 367 869.