Counselling Services

Free and Confidential Counselling

University of Wollongong provides students with free and confidential counselling. You are able to have one on one counselling on your campus, or access online and phone support. You can also contact the UOW After hours Crisis Support Line

We can offer resources for while you are waiting for your appointment or if you would like general information about strategies that will support your academic and personal development.


What to expect from the UOW counselling service

Counselling is a free and confidential consultation in which the counsellor listens to your concerns and helps you find solutions in a non-judgemental environment. Your values, choices and lifestyles will be respected and your concerns treated seriously. The counsellor will assist you to make choices or changes to help enhance your wellbeing.

Should you require more specialised assistance than the UOW Counselling Services can provide, your counsellor can direct you to the most appropriate service to assist you.


When is counselling available? 

On-Campus Counselling is available Monday to Friday from 9 am to 4.30 pm. UOW Counselling Services are open all year round including session breaks. We are closed public holidays and when the university closers at the end of the year.

To book an Online or On-Campus appointment, students please call 02 4221 3445 (Monday-Friday 9:00am-4:30pm Australian EST).

If you require afterhours support or counselling please refer to the list of specialised community based Online & Phone Counselling services.

Don’t be shy to ask for a male or female counsellor if you have a preference.

If you are unable to attend an appointment, could you please give at least 24 hours’ notice.

Due to the demand for the service during session time you may need to wait for an initial appointment, but priority appointments are available for urgent issues.

You can contact the UOW After hours Crisis Support Line whenever the counselling service is closed by calling 1300 036 149 or texting 0488 884 164.


Your first visit

Appointments last for approximately 50 minutes. On your first time visit the counselling service, please arrive 15 minutes early.

After filling in your paperwork, the counsellor will introduce themselves to you and discuss confidentiality issues with you.

Your first appointment will focus on understanding what your goals are from counselling. The counsellors will not tell you the answer to your problem, but instead will assist you in assessing your options and developing tools and strategies for resolving it yourself.



The UOW Counselling Services team are mindful that the information you provide to us as health professionals is personal and private. The collection, storage, and release of information by the UOW Counselling Services is covered by the Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth). In general, this means no personal information about you, including the fact you attended UOW Counselling Services, will be released to anyone outside of the Services without your signed consent on a Release

In addition, legally and ethically, the UOW Counselling Services may be required to release information if:

  • It is necessary to protect you or someone else from imminent danger;
  • There is a subpoena, or summons from an organisation with the power to request information;
  • The law requires personal information to be disclosed or you have a health condition that must be notified;
  • You are involved in proceedings against UOW.



How many times will I need to see a counsellor?

This is different for everybody. Sometimes one appointment might be all the help you need other times you might more support may be required during times of distress.

In general, UOW Counselling is a short-term counselling service. The number of sessions you have can be discussed with your Counsellor and can depend on your presenting needs. Should you require specialised or long-term assistance, your counsellor can direct you to the most appropriate service to assist you


International students

Counsellors are available to help international students experiencing stresses related to living away from home and studying in a foreign country. In addition to the pressure of having to achieve high marks, international students may find themselves feeling lonely, isolated or home sick.

While most international students find their time at the University of Wollongong to be positive and rewarding, students sometimes struggle with cultural differences and other difficult life situations.

As a member of Bupa you have access to 24hr telephone student support line 1300 884 235

Advise can be provided in 180 languages, for a range of emergency situations, medical or otherwise including:

  • medical and accident assistance
  • personal, home and property assistance
  • general tax and legal inquiries
  • trauma counselling

For help with your transition please refer to International Student Programs.

For help adapting to the educational system offered at the University of Wollongong and study assistance, The Learning Co-Op and Learning Development services are here to help.


Information on requesting supporting documentation from Counselling

If you are applying for Academic Consideration or any other UOW process that requires the submission of supporting documentation, please familiarise yourself with the appropriate policy (such as Student Academic Consideration Policy) and available guidelines (such as Academic Consideration Guidelines for Students) to understand your responsibilities in doing so.

Student Support Advisors can also provide advice to students ahead of them making such requests.

Please be aware, the Counselling Services cannot normally provide documentation for academic consideration applications or other UOW processes. Counsellors may be able to provide supportive documentation to students who are currently engaging in counselling with them, and are experiencing personal hardships that are impacting on their academic performance.

If you have a disability or health condition, this includes mental health issues, you may be eligible to register with Disability Services for additional help and support.


What we can help you with

  • relationship and family issues
  • communication problems
  • relationship break-up
  • coping with health problems
  • sexuality and gender identity issues
  • pregnancy, abortion
  • loneliness
  • low self-esteem and lack of confidence
  • stress, anxiety and depression
  • bereavement and grief
  • eating problems and body image issues
  • drugs and alcohol
  • coping with physical or mental illness
  • adjustment to study
  • being the first family member to attend uni
  • coming from another culture
  • difficulty concentrating
  • time management and juggling priorities
  • conflict with fellow students or staff
  • coping with failure