Approvals to work with biological materials
All research and teaching involving biological hazards must have documented risk assessment and approval from an appropriate UOW authority. Some additional requirements are:
- Non-GMO and Non-biosecurity risk group 1 organisms do not need to be reviewed by the IBC but need to follow standard laboratory practices for physical containment 1 work and be approved by the project supervisor and Head of School.
- The IBC must be notified of the importation or acquisition of all microbiological organisms of Risk Group 2 or higher; and the importation or acquisition of all GMOs.
- All work with risk group 2 materials must be reviewed by the IBC and performed in a PC2 facility
- All work with risk group 3 organisms or above need to have appropriate facilities and work practices developed prior to the organisms being brought onto UOW property and the work must be approved by the Dean /Director of Unit and the IBC.
- You must also check whether your biological hazard is included in the list of agents that are considered a National Security Risk .If your biological agent is included, you must contact the WHS unit/ research office before any decision is made to bring the agent onto UOW property.