Approvals to work with biological materials
All research and teaching involving biological hazards must have documented risk assessment and approval from an appropriate UOW authority. Some additional requirements are:
- Non-GMO and Non-biosecurity Risk Group 1 organisms do not need to be reviewed by the IBC but need to follow standard laboratory practices for Physical Containment 1 (PC1) work and be approved by the Project Supervisor and Head of School.
- The IBC must be notified of the importation or acquisition of all microbiological organisms of Risk Group 2 or higher; and the importation or acquisition of all GMOs.
- All work with Risk Group 2 materials must be reviewed by the IBC and performed in a Physical Containment 2 (PC2) facility.
- All work with Risk Group 3 organisms or above, need to have appropriate facilities and work practices developed prior to the organisms being brought onto UOW property and the work must be approved by the Dean / Director of Unit and the IBC.
- You must also check whether your biological hazard is included in the list of agents that are considered a National Security Risk. If your biological agent is included, you must contact the WHS Unit or Research Office before any decision is made to bring the agent onto UOW property.