Research students

Thinking about graduate research study?

Please contact the Graduate Research School for information on enrolling and course management

All potential HDR students should apply through the UOW online system

Associate Dean Research

Professor Peter Kelly
Phone+61 2 4239 2382

HDR Student Representative

Andrea Knezevic

Find a supervisor

If you need a supervisor, please make contact with the head of Postgraduate Studies in the School that you are interested in enrolling in

HDR resources

Getting Started

Detailed information for both current and future postgraduates students can be found on the UOW Research and Innovation page.

New HDR candidates who require shared office space, laboratory access and access cards can submit a request by completing the HDR Space Allocation Request Form online. The request will be sent to your Principal Supervisor for approval. Once approved, Facilities Management Division will allocate space and access cards as appropriate. For lab access, candidates are required to complete a lab induction and obtain approval from the lab owner.

Computer access

For HDR computer access, all supervisors are required to email their School who will liaise with the ASSH Faculty Office to support fair distribution and access to available computer resources.

The Research Hub is a collaborative research space for Higher Degree Research (HDR) students, early career researchers and research leaders in the Faculty of the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities.

The space houses over 40 current students and visiting scholars, as well as full-time researchers, Australian Research Council project researchers, ARC Future Fellows, and will lead host some of Australia’s major research projects in the areas of Humanities and Social Sciences.

The Research Hub is located in building 19, level 2, room 2072.


Applicants for the Doctor of Creative Arts (DCA)Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), and Master of Philosophy (MPhil) also need to submit the following (in addition to the online application):

  • Research Proposal

Applicants who intend to undertake creative practice research should make sure that their research proposal includes consideration of creative practice in both methodology and outcomes. The proposal should include a consideration of the feasibility and logistics of the project and any resource implications.

  • Portfolio

Applicants who intend to undertake creative practice research should include a digital portfolio and/or documentation as best suits the applicant’s specialised area of artistic practice. This may include a portfolio outlining significant creative achievements including audio-visual documentation as appropriate. The portfolio must be uploaded with your online application. Alternately, a link to a website containing images, creative work, media experience, or samples may be provided.

If it is necessary to send any material by separate email, please send it to Hard copy supporting material will not be accepted.

  • Curriculum vitae

Listing professional experience, exhibitions, performances, publications, prizes, awards, research history and employment experience.

Education student research activity funding

HDR funding will support students to conduct their own quality research, foster timely completion and enhance dissemination activity by School of Education HDR students. Below is information and links to guidelines and processes for accessing research funding in the School of Education.

General travel procedures

If you are travelling on UOW business you must complete a UOW Student Travel Request Form. It is University policy that all UOW travel must be booked through Campus Travel.

Once that form is completed, your supervisor must sign it and return to the Education Office via email to

The School Office will submit your travel forms to Campus Travel, where it will be priced and booked.

You will receive a confirmation of your travel booking/itinerary via email.

If you require reimbursement resulting from travel, please use the instructions above for funds reimbursement. (Please ask your supervisor or the School office for more information.)

NOTE: If UOW is not paying for the travel, you do not have to book through Campus Travel.

Induction programs

The School of Education holds induction programs for new research students at least once a year. Since research students begin their work at different times during their year, however, it is the responsibility of supervisors to discuss the student’s and supervisors’ rights and responsibilities as detailed in the Code of Practice: Supervision (PDF). At the beginning of enrolment supervisors should also acquaint students with the Resources and Facilities provided by the School and the specific expectations of enrolment in a research degree in Education.

Please direct all enquiries to Head of Post-Graduate Studies at

Potential supervisors can be found by reviewing staff profiles.

Space/desk allocation

The HAS-HDR student space is located in Building 29 Room 222. If your student's research is aligned with Early Start, they may also be eligible for a desk in Building 21.

HDR Student Moodle site

Students and supervisors are also advised to access the HAS HDR Student Moodle Site (RSCH023_IV120). All students and HAS academics can self-enrol to this site. The password is ‘HAS HDR student’

Research Proposal Review

The School of Health and Society are currently taking part in a Graduate Research School pilot project. During this pilot Research Proposal Reviews will take place each season on dedicated days during Feb, April, and November. Please discuss with your supervisors as you will also need to nominate examiners and a student support person. Once these details are finalised please register your intention to undertake your Research Proposal Review on the specified dates in the HAS RPR Spreadsheet

EOI for PhD supervisors

To receive details regarding potential PhD student supervision opportunities, please enter your details in the HAS potential supervisor spreadsheet.

HDR opportunities

Develop skills and extend your knowledge

More information