Terms and conditions
- I certify and declare that all the information I have given in this application is true, correct and complete, including full declaration of an pre-existing health or medical conditions.
- I agree to immediately inform UOW if there is any change to the information I have given in this application.
- I understand that UOW reserves the right to withdraw, suspend or vary any decision made on the basis of incorrect, incomplete, false or misleading information that I have provided.
- I understand that I must have completed the equivalent of one year full time study (i.e. 48 credit points) before the commencement of my exchange program (six months/24 credit points) if transferring from another university or an academic program at UOW College.
- I understand that I must be a current student at UOW and be able to provide an enrolment record from the last 6 months. Please note you are not permitted to do exchange sessions back to back in two separate locations. Students must return for at least one semester at UOW before applying for an additional International Exchange Program placement.
- I understand that the decision of the Office of Global Student Mobility is final with respect to selection of applicants, host institution and travel grants.
- Host University placements are made on academic merit and subject suitability. Host university placement decisions are final.
I understand UOW’s General Consent and Disclosure statement, including:
- Disclosure of personal and/or health related information
- Exchange of information with your host institution
In the event that:
- I am hospitalised or suffer from a serious health issue,
- I am arrested or placed in the custody of the police, immigration or other government agency,
- I am involved in a serious incident threatening my safety or wellbeing.
- I consent to UOW staff members contacting the person or persons nominated as my emergency contact on SOLS and informing them of my circumstances.
- I consent to the release of my email address to other participants and prospective participants for the institution or country in which I am accepted to undertake my exchange.
- I consent to UOW and the host institution exchanging my personal and health information for the purpose of managing the activities under the student exchange program. This includes (but is not limited to) UOW providing the host institution with information I have provided in this application and the host institution notifying UOW of the details of my academic performance, any instances of unsatisfactory conduct and details of any incidents that threaten my health, safety or wellbeing.
Conditions of participation in the program
- I understand that the maximum period of an exchange program is one year, either as a single stay or two stays of one semester each.
- I understand that UOW reserves the right to reject this application or withdraw a student from the program under the following circumstances:
- Unsatisfactory academic performance at UOW or the host institution.
- Unsatisfactory or illegal conduct at UOW or the host institution, including at UOW residences or residences of the host institution.
- Indebtedness to UOW or the host institution or its residences or its associated entities.
- I understand that I must comply with all the rules, regulations and general code of practice for students enrolled at the participating institution and, if relevant, the overseas host institution accommodation provider/residence.
- I certify that I have completed the responsibilities, rights and respect online module.
- I agree to complete all modules on the Moodle subject I am enrolled in by the Office of Global Student Mobility as part of my international program.
- I agree to be bound by the terms of the visa which I am granted by the country in which I am undertaking the exchange program.
- I understand that it is my sole responsibility to obtain the appropriate visa or study permit required by the country of the host institution or any countries I may be travelling to, prior to the departure period.
My financial obligations
- I acknowledge and agree that the program fee is not refundable.
- I understand that I am solely responsible for any costs associated with
- my exchange, including (without limitation) visa costs, personal spending money, accommodation charges and expenses, health insurance charges levied by the host institution or host country and any other charges levied by the host country, or the host institution, whether or not they are explicitly stated in the letter of offer from the host institution.
- I understand the UOW's travel insurance is for the duration of my overseas study period only. Any excess of this period I must arrange additional insurance at my own expense
- I agree to pay or arrange to have paid on my behalf my UOW tuition fees (if HECS payment is up front) for each session that I am overseas; and comply with all reasonable advice from UOW Student Services regarding HECS payment and re-enrolment.
- I understand that payment of my Travel Grant, if awarded, will not be paid until my Confirmation of Enrolment is received by the UOW Office of Global Student Mobility unless otherwise specified. Travel grant payments will not be made if this advice is received after the completion date of the first session of my specified program at the host institution.
Conditions for Travel Grant Recipients
- I understand that failure to meet any of the conditions of the International Exchange Program, prior to my departure and during my exchange period will result in me being responsible and indebted for the total repayment to UOW of all monies received by me in relation to my exchange at the host institution.
- I release and indemnify UOW and its officers, agents, contractors and employees from and against all claims for or in respect of property damage, economic loss, and/or personal injury, including death, which I may have or cause in the course of, or by reason of, or in any way connected with my participation in the International Exchange Program.
- I understand that UOW and/or the host institution reserves the right to cancel my participation in the International Exchange Program because of failure to satisfy the conditions of my offer, unsatisfactory academic progress at either institution, academic or general misconduct or indebtedness to UOW or the host institution between the time of application and the end of the program. If the exchange is cancelled, UOW is not responsible or liable for costs related to the preparation, participation or return from exchange period incurred by me from the date of cancellation.
- I understand that the condition of receiving a travel grant is to promptly provide the Office of Global Student Mobility with a photo journal, blog, or short film that may be used for promotional purposes by UOW. I understand that by providing these I authorise release to UOW and the Office of Global Student Mobility for promotional purposes.
- If I am awarded a travel grant through the Australian Government’s New Colombo Plan funding scheme, I consent to UOW sharing the following details with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and the Department of Education and Training:
- My name
- My student number
- My gender
- The name of my home institution and the host institution
- Details of my study program at my home institution and the host institution
- Contact details
- Credits applicable to this study program
- Confirmation that I have been granted credit towards my home institution degree for study successfully undertaken overseas.
- I agree that in addition to uses permitted under the Privacy Act, DFAT and Education may use my information for administering the New Colombo Plan, including the following purposes:
- assessing Applications;
- administering and performance monitoring of the NCP;
- promoting the NCP, including to Students and media representatives and in promotional material, information and publications in hardcopy and/or on the internet; and
- inviting Students in the NCP alumni network to NCP and related functions and events held in Australia and overseas.
- I agree that DFAT and Education may also disclose my Personal Information in relation to Mobility Projects under the NCP Mobility Program for the purposes listed above including:
- to other Australian Government Departments and agencies, including Austrade, the Department of Home Affairs, the Australian Federal Police and the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet;
- to State and Territory Governments;
- to Australian Parliamentary members and committees of the Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia;
- to contractors and agents of DFAT and Education;
- to Australian Universities, including ILOs;
- to potential Internship/Mentorship Host Organisations and language training providers, Host Location governments/authorities or non-government organisations. These may be foreign organisations (noting that they may not be bound by Australian privacy legislation or equivalent privacy legislation in their own countries;
- to media representatives, including foreign media representatives; and
- in publicly available promotional material, information and publications in hardcopy and/or on the internet.
- I understand that I must comply with the laws of the country of the host institution. I agree to immediately inform UOW of any change in my contact details AND those of the person(s)nominated as my emergency contacts in SOLS.
- I agree to provide a telephone number (at a minimum, the telephone number of the residence or accommodation) and access my UOW email address on a regular basis, in order to receive communications from UOW.
- I agree to register with DFAT for the country in which I am resident, and to subscribe to www.smarttraveller.gov.au, for the purpose of receiving alerts for the relevant country, and agree to contact UOW to seek advice where a travel advisory is issued for the country as a whole, or for the part of the country in which I am living and studying.
- I agree to comply with all reasonable directions from UOW with respect to my safety, and that I should not rely solely on the advice from the host institution or my own judgement as to my actions in the event of an emergency. If there are high levels of risk or threat to your safety which UOW has advised of and you wish to continue your exchange program, UOW may require you to sign an additional disclaimer in acknowledgment of these risks.
- I understand that if I ignore an Australian government travel advisory, or a reasonable direction from UOW, I may render my travel insurance null and void.
- I agree to comply with the DFATS Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment (PSEAH) policy and Child Protection Policy including reporting obligations of all alleged sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment incidents within the timeframe as indicated in the policies. Further information can be found here: Preventing Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment and Child Protection Policy.
- I understand that in the event that I cannot complete my period of studies at the host institution for any reason whatsoever (including without limitation disinclination to enrol at the host institution, disinclination to continue, illness, inability of the host institution to provide the program due to any circumstance) and I am unable or unwilling for any reason to return to UOW, I may not be able to receive credit at UOW for those subjects attempted.
- I will nevertheless remain liable for HECS charges to UOW for that session, unless I have withdrawn by census date.
- I understand that it is my sole responsibility to have all subjects undertaken on exchange approved in advance by my Head of Students or nominee, and in the event that the subjects are not available at the host institution, it is my responsibility to have other subjects approved by UOW.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to confirm that the subjects that I study on exchange conform to the requirements of the degree in which I am enrolled, and that if I choose to undertake subjects that do not count towards my degree, I undertake these subjects at additional expense to the normal on-time cost of undertaking the degree at my own risk.
- UOW will not be liable for any loss arising from my booking of non-refundable travel or from any other travel cancellation or variation fees.
Before I leave
- I understand that all contact with the host institution prior to my acceptance into the host institution will be made by the UOW Office of Global Student Mobility, and that independent contact by intending participants is not permitted, without authorisation of the UOW Office of Global Student Mobility.
- I agree to attend the Pre Departure Session(s) at the Wollongong campus on the dates and at the venues specified by the Office of Global Student Mobility staff.
- I agree to submit all compulsory Pre-Departure Forms and complete all eLearning modules by the specified deadline as advised by the Office of Global Student Mobility.
While I am away
- I agree to confirm that I have arrived at the host institution by returning the completed Confirmation of Enrolment form.
- I agree to inform UOW and seek academic approval for any subjects of any subjects in which I am enrolled and have not received prior approval.
- I agree to enrol and maintain full time status at my host institution and to remain enrolled at the UOW as a full time student for the duration of the exchange program.
- I agree to be at my host institution for the required period including the timetabled examination period as set by my host university.
- I agree to immediately notify the UOW Office of Global Student Mobility if I withdraw from the program.
- I understand that I can extend my exchange program up to a maximum of one year subject to all of the following:
- satisfactory academic performance and conduct;
- availability of exchange places;
- written approval of both UOW and the host institution; and
- approved additional program of study.
After I return
- On return from my exchange, I understand that I must provide the following to UOW on request:
- an exchange written report which details my experiences whilst abroad;
- photograph(s) of myself on exchange, to be used for promotional purposes, for which photograph(s) I authorise release;
- an original academic transcript from my host institution; and/or
- approval of all subjects that appear on the host institution transcript for specified and/or unspecified credit by relevant UOW academic staff.
- I understand further that advanced standing granted for subjects taken while on exchange will only be applied to my UOW academic record after these have been received by the Office of Global Student Mobility.
- I will commit a minimum of 5 hours, as requested, to the promotion of the exchange program.
International students – additional conditions
- I understand that I cannot undertake an exchange in my home country.
- I agree to abide by any condition of my Australian student visa or DIBP regulation covering international students undertaking an approved exchange.
- I understand that I am not eligible for Australian government financial support for exchange programs.
I understand and accept the terms and conditions set out in this application and that UOW may rely on and enforce the terms and conditions.