The role of the literature review in theses is to provide a critical review and analysis of the literature relevant to your particular topic. The purpose of a literature review can be to:
- summarise and evaluate past research
- show similarities and differences in previous research
- give an overview of controversies in past research
- place one's own research into context
- show a gap in research
- justify your own research
- generate new research hypotheses.
Find out more about Literature Reviews (PDF file).