Costs of studying overseas

The following are costs that you will need to budget for when preparing for your overseas study: 

UOW Exchange Program Fee ($150): This administration fee is payable after your acceptance to the UOW International Student Exchange Program. Please note this fee does not apply for short courses.

UOW Fees (tuition fees): As an Exchange Student, you will continue to pay your tuition fees to UOW, rather than to your host university. This makes exchange a more affordable way to study overseas. You will be billed for 24 credit points in the faculty that 'owns' your UOW degree. Australian students may choose to defer part or all of their tuition fees via HECS. International Students must pay the full tuition fee direct to UOW by census date. 

Passport (approx. $240): If you do not already have an Australian passport, or need to renew an existing one, visit for application and fee information. 

Visa Fees (varies by destination):  In most cases you will need to obtain a student visa for your host country and a tourist visa for any other countries you may be travelling to. Visa fees can be verified by contacting the Embassy or Consulate of the relevant country. All visa enquiries should be directed to the relevant Embassy or Consulate. 

Insurance* ($0 for first 365 days):  All students are automatically covered by UOW's comprehensive travel insurance policy for the first 365 days of their overseas study. 

Flight (varies): Contact your travel agent or search online to obtain a quote. Make sure you have been accepted before you book your flights.

Living Expenses (varies):  All living expenses associated with overseas study are your responsibility. These costs and accommodation costs can be found on your host university website or may be communicated to you once you have made applied to the host university ^. Returned students are also a great resource for this kind of information. Some costs may include: 

  • Accommodation
  • Food
  • Textbooks
  • Transport
  • Entertainment 

UOW Faculty-Led Overseas Program: Several UOW subjects involve a compulsory overseas component – often a study tour where the whole class travels overseas together. In these cases, students enrol directly in a UOW subject, pay subject fees directly to UOW, and are guided through the short course application process by their UOW subject coordinator/s. Enquiries about these programs and subjects should be directed to the relevant Faculty International Office.

 * You may be required to purchase health insurance (beyond the travel insurance that UOW provides) through your host university for the duration of your exchange. Your host university will advise you if this is required. 

^ Some host universities may charge additional costs to cover the student services offered there.


Last reviewed: 5 September, 2018