Terms of reference
The University Education Committee (UEC) is a formally constituted committee of Academic Senate with particular responsibility for providing leadership in the academic governance of all aspects of the University’s strategic plan relating to Education that include, but are not limited to curriculum development, the UOW student experience, and assurance of academic quality and standards.
The academic governance framework of the University is consistent with the Higher Education Standards Framework (Threshold Standards).
The UEC will support the strategic plan in working toward a position in the top 1% of world universities, by upholding the overall institutional accountability processes for quality assurance of higher education.
The committee shall have oversight of all aspects of the University’s strategic plan that include, but are not limited to:
- curriculum development;
- UOW student academic experience;
- assurance of academic quality and standards;
- education across all sites (onshore and offshore) and modes of delivery;
- student diversity;
- development of educational technology and services;
- academic policy development and implementation;
- academic staff development, promotion and recognition of excellence; and
- student career development and employability.
The UEC shall:
- oversee academic quality assurance initiatives for all University of Wollongong courses, both onshore and, in conjunction with the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor, offshore, to maintain and strengthen the quality and integrity of all courses;
- monitor course quality through regular reporting on comparative student outcomes and course performance and make recommendations to Academic Senate to support course improvement and course management initiatives;
- make recommendations to Academic Senate with regards to promoting Academic Integrity and by monitoring academic misconduct outcomes;
- receive annual reporting on the review and appeal of academic decisions, mark and grades and make recommendations to inform the management of student academic reviews and appeals at UOW;
- consider matters and make recommendations to Academic Senate in order to ensure all students in all locations have access to an equivalent learning experience using the highest quality learning facilities, and are supported by skilled and committed academic and professional staff;
- develop and drive the creation and delivery of innovative, inclusive and challenging curricula;
- promote high quality teaching, educational innovation, and the reward and recognition of teaching staff;
- ensure that all UOW graduates develop skills, qualities and knowledge that enable their success in the global workplace;
- oversee and develop strategies relating to the wider student experience;
- review and develop pathways to higher education and promote opportunities for lifelong learning, through the support and development of new courses designed to ensure access to higher education is available to all, including groups currently underrepresented in the higher-education sector;
- drive the realisation of the University of Wollongong as a digital university for learners and teachers;
- make recommendations to Academic Senate on proposals for new or amended, University-wide policies relating to education, the student experience and the administration of courses.
- provide advice to the Academic Senate and other University bodies on all matters relating to learning and teaching, and student experience; and
- receive the minutes of subcommittees and other special purpose groups and make determinations and recommendations on issues arising from the deliberations of these committees.
The University Education Committee shall consist of:
- The Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic and Student Life) as Chair
- The Chair of Academic Senate
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Global)
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Health- Sydney Campuses)
- Executive Director (Indigenous Strategy)
- Dean of Graduate Research
- Associate Deans (Education)
- Academic Director, Regional Campuses
- UOW College General Manager
- Director, Academic Quality & Standards
- Director, Learning, Teaching & Curriculum
- Director, Library Services
- Director, Student and Accommodation Services
- Director, Student Life
- Director, Future Education
- Director of Education, iAccelerate
- Director, Information Management and Technology Services
- Associate Director, Student Engagement and Employability
- Associate Director, Student Partnerships and Academic Success
- Chair, Educational Policy and Quality Subcommittee
- Chair, Student Academic Experience Subcommittee
- Academic Senate Representatives (five elected Senate members)
Unless otherwise provided, the term of office of all elected members shall be two years.
- >Associate Dean (International) (one position), appointed by the Chair following consultation with the Chair, University Internationalisation Committee
- >Faculty Academic Staff Representatives (one representative per faculty) appointed by the Chair following consultation with the Executive Dean and Associate Dean (Education) of the relevant faculty
- >One representative of the Wollongong Academy of Tertiary Teaching and Learning Excellence (WATTLE) Executive Committee (appointed by the Chair)
- >Student Representatives (four positions, Chair of Student Advisory Council and one undergraduate, one postgraduate and one international student) appointed by the UEC Chair.
The Chair may, from time to time, appoint positions to the committee to ensure there is sufficient representation, views and expertise for the committee to achieve its business. Where such appointments are made the Chair shall make the recommendation to the committee and set the term of the appointment.
Wherever possible, membership of the University Education Committee should reflect the diversity of the University of Wollongong staff and student body.
Committee members wanting to take leave of absence during their term should seek the approval of the Committee. Any short-term membership replacements will be a matter for the Chair and the Committee to determine.
The quorum for a meeting shall be fifty per cent (50%) of the membership plus one.
The Committee will meet five times per year.
The following sub-committees support the UEC
- Education Policy and Quality Subcommittee (EPAQ)
- Student Academic Experience Subcommittee (SAES)
In addition to sub-committees, the UEC utilises Task and Finish groups to deal with specific, short-term issues. The number and structure of these groups changes regularly, to respond to changing priorities.
Current UEC members
|The Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic and Student Life) as Chair Professor||Theo Farrell|
|The Chair of Academic Senate||Professor Nina Reynolds|
|Pro Vice-Chancellor (Global)||Professor Wilma Vialle|
|Dean of Graduate Research (or nominee)||Professor Lorna Moxham|
|Associate Deans (Education)||A/Prof Julie Kiggins (ASSH)|
|Associate Dean (Education)||A/Professor Ann Rogerson (BAL)|
|Associate Dean (Education)||A/Prof Montse Ros (EIS)|
|Associate Dean (Education)||A/Professor Karen Walton (SMAH)|
|Associate Dean (International)||A/Professor Sibylle Schwab|
|Academic Director - South Western and Southern
|Professor Louise Hickman|
|Academic Director – Regional||Campuses Dr Kimberley McMahon-Coleman|
|Director - Future Education||Dr Alison Freeman|
|Director - Student Service and Accommodation||Ms Theresa Hoynes|
|Director – Library Services||Ms Margie Jantti|
|Associate Director – Student Engagement and Employability||Ms Nuala O'Donnell|
|Associate Director - Student Pathways and Academic Success||Ms Kylie Austin|
|Director – Learning, Teaching and Curriculum||Ms Leanne Cambridge - Operations Manager, LTC|
|Director – Academic Quality and Standards||Mr Dominic Riordan|
|Director – Information Management & Technology Services||Mr Ray Coury|
|UOW College General Manager||Mr Felix Lanceley|
|WATTLE Representative Associate Professor||Xiaoping Gao|
|University Education Committee Subcommittee Chair
Education Policy and Quality Subcommittee (EPAQ)
|Dr Ken Cliff (EPAQ Chair)|
|University Education Committee Subcommittee Chair
Student Academic Experience Subcommittee (SAES)Associate
|Professor Ika Willis (SAES Chair)|
|Academic staff representative from faculty||Dr Noelene Weatherby-Fell (ASSH)|
|Academic staff representative from faculty||Dr Martin O’Brien (BAL)|
|Academic staff representative from faculty||Professor Christian Ritz (EIS)|
|Academic staff representative from faculty||A/Prof Tracey Kuit (SMAH)|
|Elected Academic Senate Representatives (of five positions)||Dr Kellie Buckley-Walker|
|Elected Academic Senate Representatives (of five positions)||Mr Michael Valceski|
|Elected Academic Senate Representatives (of five positions)||Professor Trish Mundy|
|Elected Academic Senate Representatives (of five positions)||Dr Germanas Peleckis|
|Elected Academic Senate Representatives (of five positions)||Dr Elena Vlaha-Gjorgievska|
|Student Representative||Manmeet Singh Batra (International)|
|Student Representative||(Undergraduate) Vacant|
|Student Representative||Narayan Khanal (Postgraduate)|
|Student Representative||Jackson Cocks (Chair, Student Advisory Council)|
Comments / enquiries
Contact UEC Executive Officer