With 17 beautiful beaches, a spectacular escarpment, a bustling city centre and your choice of restaurant and entertainment zones, Wollongong is here waiting for you to explore. There really is something for everyone in Wollongong and the greater Illawarra region. Here are a few suggestions to help you get started.
- Go hang gliding from Bald Hill.
- Join 19,000 people who jump from planes with Skydive Beach every year, the only place in New South Wales where you can land on the beach.
- Zipline through the forest or take in the view during the Illawarra Fly Treetop Walk, 45 metres above the forest floor.
- Learn how to catch a wave at one of Wollongong’s various surf schools.
- Climb the steps the Sublime Point.
- See the views from Mount Keira and Mount Kembla.
- Hear the water at Fitzroy Falls, Belmore Falls and Macquarie Falls.
- Relax at one of 17 patrolled beaches.
- Visit the Nan Tien Temple – the largest Buddhist temple in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Cruise along the Grand Pacific Drive and Sea Cliff Bridge – 140km of scenic coastal road.
- Stroll along the coast around the Illawarra Escarpment or any of the 15 coastal and nature walks in Wollongong.
- Explore Wollongong’s Rhododendron Garden and Botanic Garden.
- NRL: Watch the St George Illawarra Dragons at WIN Stadium.
- Basketball: Join in the atmosphere at an Illawarra Hawks game at the WIN Entertainment Centre.
- Soccor: See the Wollongong Wolves play at WIN Stadium.
- Try the 10 custom brews at the award-winning Illawarra Brewery.
- Enjoy breakast or brunch with a beach view at Diggies Café.
- Overlook the Pacific Ocean for as you share a meal with friends at the Scarborough Hotel, perched atop a cliff.
- Sample all the thrills and spills at Jamberoo Action Park.
- Get up close and personal with a koala at the Symbio Wildlife Park.
- Immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the Royal National Park – the second oldest National Park in the world filled with walking tracks, beaches and waterfalls.
- Catch a show at the Illawarra Performing Arts Centre, with everything from comedy and poetry to music, theatre and performance.
- See an exhibition, hear a talk or take a workshop at the Wollongong Art Gallery.
- Look forward to Viva la Gong, an annual extravaganza of music, art, circus, food, craft and more.