The following enrolment information is for international students studying on onshore on student visas, or studying offshore with the intention to have a student visa. Current students can find information on enrolment instantly on AskUOW.
If you are experiencing difficulties and are considering changing or withdrawing from subjects or your course, we encourage you to seek support before making this decision. Please make an appointment with one of our Student Support Coordinators who are here to help and can connect you with support services that the University offers free of charge.
Changes to enrolment that will affect your visa status
Reduced study load
If you are an international student on a student visa, you are required to complete your studies by the date listed on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). Your visa status will be affected if you do not finish your course in the timeframe shown in your Confirmation of Enrolment. For more information see Student visa conditions.
To apply for a reduced study load, complete the online Reduced Study Load Form.
Once your documents are received, your application will be assessed by the faculty and you will be notified of this outcome via UOWmail. If your application to reduce your study load is approved, you will be removed from the subjects that were outlined in your application. If your application is declined, you will be notified of this outcome via UOWmail and advised of the options available to you.
- The University will only issue a new COE in Compassionate or compelling circumstances.
- All applications must be submitted prior to the Census Date of the applicable session to allow for withdrawal of subjects.
- All applications must be submitted by the student and are subject to approval.
- You should not withdraw from your subject(s) before approval is granted. If you deliberately under-enrol or not follow advice from your Faculty, you may not get an extension of your COE. If that happens, you must complete your studies from your home country via distance studies.
Change of Course
If you want to change your course, it may alter your Confirmation of Enrolment. You can apply to change or transfer your current course to another course at UOW, provided you have completed at least one session of your course.
To apply for a course transfer, you will need to complete the relevant application form and attach a copy of your enrolment record.
- Undergraduate Course Transfer
- Postgraduate Course Transfer (PG students wanting to transfer to a degree in a different faculty need to seek a new offer/apply through future students)
Early completion of your course
Early completion means finishing your course a minimum of one session earlier than the expected course end date on your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE).
What you must do in the case of early completion:
- Enrol in another CRICOS registered course at UOW or with another education provider; or
- leave Australia unless the Department of Home Affairs allows you to stay.
Late completion of your course
Late completion of your course means not finishing your course in the timeframe on your Confirmation of Enrolment.
In this case, you must extend your student visa before the current one expires; do this at least 1 month before your visa expires:
- Get a new Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) through SOLS.
- Extend your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) policy.
- Make sure you have all the needed supporting documentation to support your application.
- Apply for a Student Visa Subclass 500.
Leave of absence
Leave of absence means after completing 1 session of your course, you take a break for 6 or 12 months under Compassionate or Compelling Circumstances.
- You may need to get your visa extended by the Department of Home Affairs so that you have enough time to finish your course.
- If you receive permission to take leave of absence, you will receive a new Confirmation of Enrolment.
How to apply for a leave of absence:
IMPORTANT: If you hold a student visa, you MUST remain enrolled and attend classes until you receive conformation that your Leave of Absence has been granted.
- Prepare your supporting documentation.
- Submit the Leave of Absence form along with your supporting documents to your Faculty.
- Make an appointment with your Head of Students by contacting the AskUOW team to discuss your application.
Discontinuing your course
If you wish to discontinue your course, see Leaving UOW.
Still have questions?
Contact the AskUOW team.