Changes to enrolment

Changes to enrolment that will affect your visa status

Discontinuing your course

If you wish to discontinue your course, see Leaving UOW.

Early completion of your course

Early completion means finishing your course a minimum of one session earlier than the expected course end date on your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE).

What you must do in the case of early completion:

  • Enrol in another CRICOS registered course at UOW or with another education provider; or
  • leave Australia unless the Department of Home Affairs allows you to stay.

Late completion of your course

Late completion of your course means not finishing your course in the timeframe on your Confirmation of Enrolment.

In this case, you must extend your student visa before the current one expires; do this at least 1 month before your visa expires:

  1. Get a new Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) through SOLS.
  2. Extend your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) policy.
  3. Make sure you have all the needed supporting documentation to support your application.
  4. Apply for a Student Visa Subclass 500.

Leave of absence

Leave of absence means after completing 1 session of your course, you take a break for 6 or 12 months under Compassionate or Compelling Circumstances.

  • You may need to get your visa extended by the Department of Home Affairs so that you have enough time to finish your course.
  • If you receive permission to take leave of absence, you will receive a new Confirmation of Enrolment.

How to apply for a leave of absence:

IMPORTANT: If you hold a student visa, you MUST remain enrolled and attend classes until you receive conformation that your Leave of Absence has been granted.

  1. Prepare your supporting documentation.
  2. Submit the Leave of Absence form along with your supporting documents to your Faculty.
  3. Make an appointment with your Head of Students to discuss your application.

Reduced study load

Your visa status will be affected if you do not finish your course in the timeframe shown in your Confirmation of Enrolment. See Student visa conditions.

How to apply for reduced study load:

  1. You must get permission from your Head of Students to reduce your study load in any session unless it is your final session
  2. Prepare supporting documentation to verify your application.
  3. Apply by completing the Reduced Study Load Form in SOLS under the Student Forms menu.
  4. Submit the Academic Advice Form (the link is in the Reduced Study Load Form) via email to


  • The University will only issue a new COE in Compassionate or compelling circumstances.
  • If you deliberately under-enrol or not follow advice from your Faculty, you may not get an extension of your COE. If that happens, you must complete your studies from your home country via distance studies.