With COVID-19, how is this program running in 2021?
This program is running face-to-face.
What will I do?
Pre-Service Teacher Volunteering is an opportunity for you to volunteer in schools to gain valuable experience and be immersed in school culture whilst growing professionally.
How will I benefit?
By volunteering in schools, you will experience working with students, staff, and the wider community in a professional environment. There are many benefits to volunteering in schools including:
- Developing communication and organisational skills through liaising with colleagues and students
- Observing professional practice in a variety of settings
- Having a positive impact on student learning outcomes
- Developing deeper knowledge and understanding which is directly transferable to your education degree
- Supporting and contributing to the school community
- Demonstrating and developing critical and creative thinking skills
- Establishing an education profile and liaising with other educators
- Showcasing your volunteer experience in schools is valuable for future employment prospects.
How do I apply?
All information will be posted via the Volunteer Opportunities webpage, accessed via the School of Education website. Interested schools will upload information about the volunteer opportunity at their school including a brief description, time frame and contact details. Once they have posted the information you can view the list of opportunities available. Then you will be able to liaise directly with the school contact if you are interested in pursuing a particular volunteer opportunity.
Are there any special requirements of the role?
Any PST (Education Student) wishing to volunteer in schools must have the appropriate compliance checks completed including:
- Working With Children Check
- Anaphylaxis training
- Child Protection Training
These checks are required by all students as part of the Professional Experience compliance and will be uploaded to SONIA Online.
Minimum requirements for UOWx recognition
To receive UOWx recognition, you must complete the following:
- An "engaged" student will need to complete a minimum of 20 hours in a calendar year.
- A "highly engaged" student will need to complete a minimum of 40 hours in a calendar year.
Please visit the School of Education Volunteer opportunities page.
|Where?||When?||Time commitment||Type||Learning Streams|
||Approximately 14 hours per week for the first/second week of each session.||