UOW is delighted to be able to recommence in-person graduation ceremonies in 2022. Graduation ceremonies will be held in November in the Sports Hub at the UOW Wollongong campus.
2022 graduation ceremonies
Tuesday 1 November
Faculty of Business and Law (BAL)
- Ceremony 1 - 9:30am
Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences (EIS)
- Ceremony 2 - 2:30pm
Wednesday 2 November
Faculty of Science, Medicine and Health (SMAH)
- Ceremony 3 - 9:30am
- Ceremony 4 - 2:30pm
Thursday 3 November
Faculty of the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (ASSH)
- Ceremony 5 - 9:30am
- Ceremony 6 - 2:30pm
Graduates will be advised of their ceremony allocation in October.
All ceremonies will be held in the Sports Hub (building 9) at the UOW Wollongong campus.
Invitations and registration
Registration has now closed.
Each graduate is allocated up to four (4) guest tickets for their graduation ceremony. Graduates will be given their guests tickets at the registration desk on the day of your ceremony.
We understand what an important milestone Graduation is for families. Children are warmly welcome to attend your ceremony and will require a ticket. Infants (under 3) can sit on an adult's lap during the ceremony.
Transformation of the UOW Sports Hub for Graduation
A timelapse showcasing the incredible transformation of UOW's Sports Hub on Wollongong Campus, to host the University's graduation ceremonies in May 2022.
FAQs - Ceremonies
- What is different about the 2022 graduation ceremonies?
- Will I get to wear a gown / academic dress?
- How many guests can I bring?
- When do I arrive? Where do I park?
- Will the ceremonies be live streamed?
- How long do the ceremonies go for?
- Can I attend a future graduation ceremony if I cannot make it to November?
In 2022 and beyond, there will be a shift in how UOW graduation ceremonies are delivered.
2022 in-person graduation ceremonies include elements such as commencement addresses and announcement of graduates, as well as some additional inclusions in recognition of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students:
- a Smoking Ceremony
- vibration sounds of the Yidaki will lead the Academic Procession
- Aboriginal inspired art and music will feature throughout the ceremonies
Yes, graduates will dress in official academic dress and have the opportunity to take photos with their guests. You will receive your gown during registration on the day of your ceremony, and it must be returned to the gowning area at the conclusion of your ceremony at the following times:
- 1pm for morning ceremonies
- 6pm for afternoon ceremonies
The cost of hiring your academic dress is covered by the graduation fee. If you would like to purchase your academic dress, please contact the Unishop, or buy online. Please note that if you purchase your academic dress, you are still required to pay the full graduation fee.
Each graduate is allocated up to four (4) guest tickets for their graduation ceremony.
For information relating to when to arrive, travel, location and parking and well as other information information, please visit the Your Graduation Day page.
Yes. All ceremonies will be live streamed - the link will be available via the graduation website on the day of the event.
A link to the video recordings for the ceremonies will also be available on the graduation website after all ceremonies have concluded.
We expect each ceremony will go for approximately 2-2.5 hours.
November 2022 ceremonies will be the last ceremony you are able to attend if you were conferred prior to September 2022 (including graduates from 2019, 2020 and 2021 who had their ceremony cancelled due to COVID).
Students who are conferred in September 2022 will be invited to attend the November ceremonies, however, due to the tight timeframe these students can defer their graduation ceremony attendance to 2023. More information will be provided directly to these students.
FAQs - Invitations, registration and payment
- How do I register for a November ceremony?
- I have graduated from multiple degrees. Which ceremony will I be invited to?
- Why do I have to pay a graduation fee and what does it cover?
- What happens if I have paid and can no longer attend my graduation ceremony?
All invitations have been sent and registrations for November ceremony have now closed.
If you have graduated from UOW with multiple degrees, congratulations! Graduates with multiple degrees will be invited to celebrate and attend the graduation ceremony for your highest degree.
- If you've graduated from both a Bachelor AND Honours degree, Honours is the higher degree
- If you've graduated from both a Graduate Certificate and a Masters, Masters is the higher degree
If you are still a little confused, please feel free to email email@example.com with ‘Graduation’ in the subject line and we will respond accordingly.
The graduation fee covers the following:
- Hire of official academic dress
- Trencher or Bonnet which you can keep (if you don’t already have one)
- Graduation booklet
- Guest tickets
If you would like to purchase your academic dress, please contact the Unishop or purchase online. Please note that if you purchase your academic dress, you are still required to pay the full graduation fee.
You will be required to pay your graduation fee during the registration process. If you do not pay the fee by the closing date, you will not be able to attend the ceremony.
If you have paid for your ceremony but cannot attend, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Graduation’ in the subject line and attach a copy of your original payment receipt as well as your student number.
A refund will depend on how much notice is provided;
- More than 10 days notice prior to your ceremony: a full refund
- Less than 10 days notice prior to your ceremony: no refund unless in exceptional circumstances
If you request a refund with less than 10 days notice, a refund will be considered on a case by case basis with supporting evidence that you are unable to attend due to unforeseen circumstances outside of your control.
Your refund will be credited to the same payment details that were provided when registering.
FAQs - COVID safety
- What COVID safe measures will be in place for graduates and guests?
- Do I need to be vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend graduation?
- Will graduates and guests need to wear a face mask?
The safety of graduates, guests and staff is our top priority. UOW will follow advice and guidelines from health and government authorities to ensure a COVID Safe event.
COVID Safe protocols will be in place to protect all visitors including:
- Hand sanitiser available for use
- Wearing of face masks optional for all graduates and guests
- Guests and graduates are asked to stay home if unwell
Please note that requirements will be subject to public health orders at the time of the ceremonies and may change.
Visitors to UOW campuses are currently not required to show their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Face masks are not a requirement, however NSW Health strongly recommends you wear a face mask if it is hard to maintain safe physical distance from others.
Face masks will be available for graduates upon request at the registration desk. All guests attending a graduation ceremony will need to provide their own face mask.
The wearing of face masks is subject to Public Health Orders at the time of the ceremonies and requirements may change.
FAQs - International students
- I am planning to travel to Australia to attend my ceremony. Do I need a visa?
- My student visa has expired. What do I do?
- How do I get an invitation for my overseas guests?
- I did not save or print my invitation letter for my offshore guests. What should I do?
- I need to change my guests’ names on their invitation letter, what do I do?
If you intend to travel from your home country to attend the ceremony, you will need to ensure you have the correct entry requirements. Please refer to the Department of Home Affairs
The Department of Home Affairs has comprehensive information about student visa requirements and application procedures. Please refer to the Department of Home Affairs.
If your guests intend to travel from their home country to attend your graduation ceremony, they will need to ensure they have the correct entry requirements. Please refer to the Department of Home Affairs.
During the registration process, international students should have generated, saved and/ or printed a copy of a Graduation Invitation Letter for guests to use for travel and visa purposes.
If you did not request a letter during registration but now require one, please contact the Graduation team via email at email@example.com with ‘Graduation’ in the subject line in order to have one sent to you. You will not be able to generate a letter by modifying your registration.
If you generated a Graduation Invitation letter during the registration process, log back into your account and select ‘view registration’. A link to view and/or save your Graduation Invitation Letter for overseas guests will be available on this page.
If you require your Graduation Invitation letter for overseas guests to be modified, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Graduation’ in the subject line to have this corrected. A revised letter will be sent to you via email as soon as possible.