Awards and Rankings
We are, and always have been, about academic excellence.
At UOW, we’re proud to be among the best modern universities in the world. Throughout our 42-year history, we’ve built an international reputation for world-class research and exceptional teaching quality. In fact, employers have ranked our graduates as some of the most career-ready in the world for nine years in a row.
We’re in the top 2 per cent of universities worldwide and we’re aiming higher every day.
Equal first university in Australia
The federal government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) has ranked UOW as equal first in Australia for overall postgraduate study.
UOW was also ranked number one in Australia for:
- Student Satisfaction for postgraduate Nursing
- Study area Science and Mathematics
UOW was rated Australia’s leading public university for student experience in the 2018 Good Universities Guide
The number 1 university in New South Wales
Along with other recent awards and rankings, the Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) has ranked UOW as the number 1 university in New South Wales.
- Highest ranked university in NSW on QILT 2017
- Highest rank in NSW/ACT universities in nine study areas on QILT 2017
- 1st in NSW/ACT for Overall Satisfaction, Teaching Quality, Learner Engagement, Learning Resources, and Skills Scale
- Highest rank in NSW for postgraduate study area Health Services & Support
- Highest rank in NSW for postgraduate study area Engineering
- First on the Good Teaching Scale for postgraduate Nursing
- First for generic skills in postgraduate Business
Top 2% of universities in the world
- 232nd in the world – QS World University Rankings 2018
- 251-300 band – Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018
- 201-300 band – Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2017
- 313th in the world – U.S. News Best Global Universities Ranking 2017
- 264th in the world for research quality – 2016 Leiden Ranking
Globally ranked as one of the world's best modern universities
- 17th in the world – QS Top 50 Under 50 Rankings 2018
- 30th in the world – Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2017
Rated among Asia-Pacific region's best universities
- 40th – Times Higher Education Asia Pacific University Rankings 2017
Globally rated a five-star university
- UOW is one of only two Australian universities – and the only publicly funded university- to achieve 5-stars in all student experience measures in the 2018 Good Universities Guide: Overall experience; Skills development; Student support; Teaching quality and Learning resources and learner engagement
- 5 Star rating – QS World University Rankings 2016
Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2015
- 98% of UOW disciplines that were assessed in 2015 were rated 'At', 'Above' or 'Well above world standard', based on results at the 4-digit FOR code level.
- More than 75% of assessed disciplines were rated as 'Above' or 'Well above world standard', based on results at the 4-digit FOR code level.
Top 1% for graduates as rated by global employers
UOW is consistently ranked in the top 1% of universities in the world for the quality of our graduates in the 2018 QS Graduate Employability Rankings.
- Rated 73 in the world for graduate employment rates
- Rated 167 in the world for partnerships with employers
- Ranked in the 151-200 band overall
Top 50 in the world 2017 QS world rankings by subject
- Engineering - Mineral and Mining
Top 50 in the world Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2017 by subject
- Energy Science
- Hospitality and Tourism
Top 150 in the world 2017 QS world rankings by subject
- Art and Design
- Engineering - Civil and Structural
- Materials Science
Top 200 in the world 2017 QS world rankings by subject
- Communication & Media Studies
- English Language and Literature
- Engineering - Mechanical
- Earth and Marine Sciences
- Accounting and Finance
- Business and Management Studies
The Federal Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) ranked UOW in 2017 as the best university in New South Wales and the ACT for Law and Paralegal Studies.
UOW Law has also been ranked 85th worldwide, 8th in Australia and 3rd in New South Wales by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings (2018).
Recognition of our international focus
- Ranked 71st of the top 200 most international universities in the world - Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015/2016
- Winner of the prestigious 2015 Hong Kong - Australia Business Association (NSW Chapter) Award, recognition of our contribution to the region through international education.
- Winner of a Business Excellence Award for Education and Training in the 2015 AustCham Westpac Australia-China Business Awards, recognising a long-term collaboration between the University of Wollongong and leading universities, research organisations and industry bodies in China.
UOW finalist in the HEA Global Teaching Excellence Award 2017
Finalist in 2017 The Global Teaching Excellence Awards (GTEA), recognising teaching excellence. UOW was among 27 institutions shortlisted from among the top universities in Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, South Africa and the United Kingdom.
UOW in the media
Student satisfaction remains high at UOW..
Bangalay – the University’s newest student residence..
Beach safety program for international students..
UOW surges in QS World University Ranking by Subject results..
Goodwill Hunting event attracts almost 1000 students..
Students get inside look at Australia/US relationship..
UOWD announces major investment in new campus expansion..
International visit strengthens life sciences relationship..
Next-generation batteries a game changer for electric cars..
UOW has announced the raising of $10 million in investment capital..
More plaudits for SMART’s PetaJakarta project..