Frequently asked questions

Business travel insurance questions answered

Q: Am I covered for COVID-19 related expenses under the University Travel Insurance Policy?

A: The latest information received from our travel insurer AIG (as at  1 Jan 2022), regarding COVID is: providing the traveler has a permit to travel to the destination or DFAT has deemed the destination safe to travel, international travel is covered by our travel insurance policy, including overseas COVID related medical expenses. AIG will not, however, cover all Cancellation & Additional Expenses (e.g. quarantine costs) arising from delayed or changed plans. 

A) Cover under Section 1 – Medical and Medical Evacuation Expenses does not exclude any pandemic including COVID-19.

B) Cover under section 3 - Loss of Deposits and Additional Expenses:
a. Coronavirus (COVID-19) is considered a foreseen or known event and there is no cover for claims under section 3 - Loss of Deposits and Additional Expenses, directly or indirectly related to the following:

  • Trip cancellation, trip curtailment/delay and/or additional expenses (including quarantine requirements) caused by or due to COVID-19 is considered an expected, known and/or foreseeable event which is not covered by insurance.
  • Trip cancellation if you or your travelling companion cancel your trip because of disinclination to travel, change of mind or fear of travelling.
  • Travel restrictions due to government orders, advisories, regulations, directives, or border closures in relation to COVID-19.

b. There is some cover available relating to COVID-19 as outlined below if you, your close relative or travelling companion are diagnosed with COVID-19:

  • If diagnosed with COVID-19 prior to departure, you will be covered for trip cancellation, provided you have a confirmed and documented diagnosis at the time of departure. Cover is subject to the terms and conditions of your policy.
  • If diagnosed with COVID-19 while on a covered trip, you will be covered for reasonable and necessary additional cancellation/curtailment/interruption expenses, as long as you have a confirmed and documented diagnosis, and your trip was not in conflict with any travel restrictions or advice (as a. above). Cover is subject to the terms and conditions of your policy.

Coronavirus/Covid-19 means : Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)/Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)/any mutation, strain or variation of SARS-CoV-2;

All claims are subject meeting all other terms and conditions of the policy.

Q: What activities are not covered?

A: There is no cover for any loss resulting from flying in an aircraft other than as a passenger regardless of whether it is licensed or unlicensed.

There is no cover for self-inflicted injury, illegal conduct, training or professional sport, war (whether declared or not), invasion or civil war, AIDS, existence of nuclear weapons or radioactivity, claims in respect to people over 80 years of age, claims the payment of which would constitute health insurance business as defined under the National Health Act 1952 (Cth) and Medicare expenses.

Full details of exclusions - see the AIG Policy Wording and Product Disclosure Statement.

Q: Am I covered for personal travel while overseas?


  • Staff are covered by the University Travel Insurance for any associated private travel taken with business travel, providing the private travel does not exceed 60% of your entire trip away.
  • The traveller is responsible for arranging additional travel insurance where private travel exceeds 60% of the total trip.
  • Students and voluntary workers are not covered for any private travel associated with their Approved University Business Travel.

Q: Am I covered under the University's Business Travel Policy?

A: These FAQs are to be used as a guide only: you should read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS), Policy Wording and Policy Schedule to be fully aware of the Terms and Conditions.

You are covered if you are undertaking approved University business travel and you fall into one of the Insured Persons Categories as outlined in the Schedule of Insurance.

Q: What if I am taking my family with me on my trip?


  • Accompanying Spouse/Partner and Dependent Children are covered if you fall within Category 1, 2 or 6 of Insured Person(s), in the Schedule of Insurance, whilst on authorised business travel overseas. 
  • If you do not fall within Categories 1, 2 or 6, then it is your responsibility to obtain additional cover for any other person accompanying you on your travels.
  • The University Business Travel insurance policy does not provide cover for partners or family members of travelling students.

Q: Are my personal belongings covered?

Baggage, Business Property and Electronic Equipment are covered by the policy. These items attract an excess which may vary from year to year.

Please refer to the Policy Wording and Schedule of Insurance for the limits of cover and excess amounts.

Personal effects must fall under the definition of "baggage" under the AIG Travel Policy Wording and accompany the insured person in order to be covered.

Q: Can't find the answer to your question?

A: Please don't hesitate to email us.

Q: Am I covered for airline cancellation and curtailment?

A: Yes. 

Cancellation and Curtailment Expenses are covered if the person incurs reasonable additional or forfeited travel, hotel or out-of-pocket expenses as a result of unforeseen circumstances outside their control.

Cover is subject to the terms and conditions set out in AIG Policy Wording.

Q: Am I covered for repatriation and medical evacuation?

A: You are covered for Medical, Additional Expenses, Cancellation and Curtailment Expenses.

Check AIG Policy Wording for further details.

You must contact AIG to make arrangements on the emergency number:

Q: Is there a 24-hour emergency assistance number?

A: Yes.

Register with AIG's Travel Guard using the Assistance Website Registration Guide, for 24/7 assistance and information whilst travelling.

Travel Guard emergency 24/7 service:

Q: How long am I covered for?

A: Travel insurance will provide cover for a maximum duration of 365 days, providing the private component of your travel does not exceed 60% of the total trip. 

Q: How can I arrange additional insurance?

A: If you choose to extend your stay, it is your responsibility to arrange and pay for the additional insurance.

Please note: additional travel insurance is not an extension of the university's policy but rather a new private policy for the extended period only.

Alternatively, it may be arranged independently through an insurer of your choice.

Q: How do I arrange insurance cover?

A: To qualify for cover under the University Business Travel Insurance Policy (i.e. you fall within the Definition of Insured Person(s) Category 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6), you must be travelling on University authorised business.

Employees, Council Members and Honorary Employees are required to complete a Travel Request located on University Travel Hub. This form is not mandatory for Students, providing other records are in place within the Faculty as proof of authorised travel.

Q: How do I make a claim or lodge an online general enquiry?

A: To make a claim

  1. Complete the Business Travel Insurance Claim Form.
  2. Attach supporting documentation such as original purchase documents, replacement quotations, receipts, police reports, witness statements, medical certificates, travel itinerary, etc.
  3. Send claim with supporting documentation to

To make a general enquiry

Q: Am I covered if my pre-booked tour is cancelled?

A: You are covered if the cancellation of the tour is outside of your control; however, this does not include:

  • cancellation due to lack of numbers
  • any business or financial/contractual obligations of the Insured person or any other person
  • carrier caused delays where the expenses are recoverable from the carrier
  • disinclination on the part of the Insured Person or of any other person to travel 
  • cancellation, curtailment or diversion of scheduled public transport services, including strikes or other industrial action, if there had been warning before the date the Journey was booked that such events were likely to occur
  • the refusal, failure or inability of any person, company or organisation by reason of their own financial defaults or the financial default of any person, company or organisation with whom or with which they deal.   

Q: What if I have a pre-existing medical condition?

A: The travel insurance policy does not respond where the journey is undertaken against the advice of a Doctor, or when the traveller is unfit to travel. Travellers must seek written clearance from their Doctor if they have a serious pre-existing condition.

Study Abroad students must advise insurance by email if they have a pre-existing medical condition, before travelling.

The travel insurance policy excludes terminal conditions or chronic medical conditions where the person has received treatment in the 30 days immediately before departure or where hospitalisation/surgery was required in the 6 months before the trip. The policy also states that a person is not to travel against their Doctor's advice or if they are unfit to travel and excludes cover for any medication for a pre-existing sickness or condition.

Under the insurance policy a person can travel if:

  • they have their doctor's permission
  • they have fully stocked up on the medication they need
  • they have not got a terminal or chronic condition (except for mild asthma)
  • they have not been treated for a medical condition within 30 days of departure; and
  • they have not been hospitalised or had surgery in the six months immediately before travelling.