Catching the bus is inexpensive and easy. More than 25 per cent of UOW students, staff and visitors choose to catch one of the free shuttle bus services to the Wollongong campus. There are also many other paid buses that stop on our doorstep.
Free shuttle buses
North Gong (NG) Shuttle
The NG Shuttle links the Wollongong campus with North Wollongong Station.
Route 9 stops around the Ring Road, and Route 9N runs directly between the station and Northfields Ave bus interchange.
This service operates weekdays 7:50am to 10:00pm.
The service operates a full service timetable during session and exams and reduced services during recess periods. Check the timetable for exact details.
All UOW buses are low floor wheelchair accessible, except in exceptional circumstances.
This is a free shuttle service funded by Transport for NSW, UOW and Wollongong City Council. This service travels in clockwise (55C) and anticlockwise (55A) loops connecting UOW to the city, the beach, Innovation Campus, Campus East and Fairy Meadow.
Hours of operation are:
- Weekdays: 07:00 – 18:00 every 10 minutes, 18:00 – 22:00 every 20 minutes
- Saturdays: 09:40 – 17:20 every 20 minutes
- Sundays & Public Holidays: 09:40 – 17:20 Up to 20 minute frequency
Operates all year round on weekdays, weekends and public holidays.
All Gong Shuttles are wheelchair accessible.
Queue for your bus
Please queue in a line to ensure your safety and be considerate of others. Keep a safe 1.5m distance between yourself and others and wear a mask when you can't distance from others. Please follow the directions of the bus drivers, bus marshals and UOW Security.
Direct to UOW bus services
The following buses travel direct to UOW:
- Route 41 from Dapto via the Princes Highway, through Unanderra and Figtree and UOW via Robsons Road.
- Route 11 from Wollongong, Mangerton, Figtree, Mount Keira and UOW via Robsons Road.
- Route 53 from Shellharbour via Shell Cove, Flinders, Warrawong, Windang, Primbee, Warilla.
- Route 91 from Austinmer Station to University of Wollongong.
- Route 93 from Bulli to University of Wollongong.
- Route 887 from Campbelltown to Wollongong.
There are many other buses that connect to these buses, or to a free shuttle bus. Use the Transport for NSW trip planner or the Opal Travel app.
If you are travelling on public transport and paying an Adult Opal fare, you may be able to use contactless payment. Some cards or linked devices can be used instead of an Opal card. This is not applicable for Concession Opal fares. See the Opal website for how to travel with contactless payments.Opal contactless payments