Study options

Study Abroad and Exchange programs are designed for international undergraduate or postgraduate students who wish to spend one or two semesters in a program of study at the University of Wollongong and transfer the credits to their home institution.

Study Options

Semester programs

Both the Study Abroad and Exchange programs are designed for international undergraduate students who wish to spend one or two semesters in a program of study at the University of Wollongong and transfer the credits to their home institution.

Postgraduate students wishing to participate in a Study Abroad or Exchange program are encouraged to enquire with both their home university and the UOW Office of Global Student Mobility to determine if they would be eligible to participate in these programs.

Study Abroad Program

The Study Abroad Program is designed to welcome students to UOW from both formally recognised and study abroad partners and non-affiliated institutions. Study abroad students pay tuition fees directly to UOW for their program of study at UOW. If your home institution does not have a formal exchange agreement with the University of Wollongong, or if the exchange numbers are unevenly balanced, you can apply to participate in the Study Abroad program.

  • You may apply directly to the University of Wollongong.
  • You will pay fees to the University of Wollongong either directly or via your agent/ program provider.
  • You must gain approval from your home institution's Study Abroad advisor regarding credit for your University of Wollongong academic program.

Exchange Program

The University of Wollongong has established formal exchange agreements with a number of leading universities in the Americas, Europe, Scandinavia and Asia. The Student Exchange Program, the companion program to Study Abroad, allows a limited number of students to enrol each session. In this program, students are not required to pay tuition fees. If your university or college is a UOW exchange partner, contact your home university for more information about coming to Wollongong as an exchange student for one or two semesters.

  • Your home institution must be a University of Wollongong partner through a formal exchange agreement.
  • You must be nominated for the program by the exchange coordinator of your home institution.
  • You continue to pay your home institution fees as you remain enrolled with your home institution.

Business Internship

Combine Study Abroad with a unique opportunity! The Work Integrated Learning subject, COMM391 Business Internship is designed for students undertaking any business or commerce degree, and provides an opportunity for students to integrate and apply their university knowledge in an industry context. Students accepted into the Business Internship Program are required to enrol in at least one other business subject from the Faculty of Business and Law along with COMM391, and one or two other UOW subjects to make up a full-time study load. 

English not your first language?

English Plus Uni is designed for students for whom English is not their first language, and who may not be at the required level of English to undertake a formal semester program.

The English Plus Uni program provides an opportunity to study an advanced level English language course whilst auditing one or two undergraduate (bachelor) level subjects at the University. There are a range of subjects available to study from all nine faculties of the University.

Duration 12 or 18 weeks with the option of adding additional weeks of English
Intakes Three times per year. Additional English commences every 6 weeks.
Course structure

You study English for 14 hours per week and you will also take your chosen first year university subject(s) for 3-6 hours per week.

When there is a university session break you will study 20 hours per week of English.

For students below a level of TOEFL 525 or IELTS 5.5, you can add additional weeks of English before you commence the university audit, and you will study for 20 hours per week of intensive English.

English Plus Uni is offered through UOW College, on the Wollongong campus.

Tuition fees vary according to the length of the program. Additionally, you may find a list of program dates which may be useful.

Visiting Research Student Program

The Visiting Research Student Program is designed for both undergraduate and post-graduate students who are currently enrolled full-time at an overseas university who wish to obtain research experience or professional or industrial practice with a UOW research team.

This professional practicum is for a limited period (usually up to 12 months) and must be a formal requirement for the award of a degree at the student’s home university.

Securing UOW academic supervisors is the responsibility of the applicant. Participants must contact the relevant UOW Academic Unit or Research Unit and negotiate with staff members to supervise their project. Applications will not be accepted until a UOW supervisor and co-supervisor has been confirmed.

Participants who are accepted to the Visiting Research Student Program will enrol at the University of Wollongong. Although participants will be enrolled while conducting their research, they are not eligible to receive a UOW Academic Transcript. Proof of research conducted at UOW will be evident in the research results and written references from project supervisors.

Participants will be required to enter Australia with a Student Visa. In most cases no fee is payable for the program, in some cases living support may be available through the Chinese Scholarship Council for Chinese Scholars. 

How to apply

Submit an online application to the Office of Global Student Mobility. Please note you will be asked to upload the following documentation into your online application:

For more information please refer to enquire and apply