The Australian Government has partnered with the University of Wollongong (UOW) to offer the Destination Australia scholarship program. This new program will support both domestic and international students to study in regional Australia.
Destination Australia scholarships
Domestic student scholarship details
|Batemans Bay||Five (5)||$15,000 per year||Minimum duration of degree program, up to four years|
|Bega||Five (5)||$15,000 per year||Minimum duration of degree program, up to four years|
|Shoalhaven||Five (5)||$15,000 per year||Minimum duration of degree program, up to four years|
|Southern Highlands||Five (5)||$15,000 per year||Minimum duration of degree program, up to four years|
To be eligible for a Destination Australia Scholarship, students must meet the following criteria:
- Commencing as a new student at UOW in 2020;
- Maintain ongoing residency in a regional area as defined by the Australia Bureau of Statistics for the duration of each study period;
- Enrolled and study at either the Batemans Bay, Bega, Shoalhaven or Southern Highlands campuses;
- Enrolled full-time in an on-campus course that can be fully delivered at one of the campuses listed above; and
- Enrolled in a Bachelors, Bachelors Honours, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma, Master or Doctoral degree.
How to apply
Students are required to submit an online scholarship application. Students will be requested to provide personal details, degree, living address (or intended living address if not currently residing in a regional area), campus and written responses.
Applications are now closed.
Frequently asked questions
Q. How much is the scholarship?
The Destination Australia scholarship is $15,000 per year for each year of a student’s qualification for up to four years. UOW has 25 Destination Australia scholarships available for 2020, as follows:
- Bateman’s Bay: 5 Domestic scholarships and 1 international scholarship (total: 6 scholarships)
- Bega: 5 Domestic scholarships and 1 international scholarship (total: 6 scholarships)
- Shoalhaven: 5 Domestic scholarships and 2 international scholarships (total: 7 scholarships)
- Southern Highlands: 5 Domestic scholarships and 1 international scholarship (total: 6 scholarships)
Q. When do applications close?
Applications will close at 11.59 pm on Friday 28 February 2020.
Q. How do I know if my application has been submitted?
As part of the application process you will be provided with an email receipt of submission of your application. If you do not receive a receipt of submission, in the first instance check your 'junk mail' (some email services automatically direct receipts to their user junk mail boxes). If you still haven't received a receipt please contact the Fees and Scholarships team on (02) 4252 8959 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. How do I know if I am a successful candidate?
The Fees and Scholarships team will contact you via phone and email regarding the outcome.
Q. How do I accept my scholarship offer?
In order to accept your scholarship you will need to complete the terms and conditions included with your offer letter and return them to the Fees and Scholarships team at email@example.com.
Q. When will I receive my scholarship payments?
Scholarship payments are processed each session (April and September), subject to UOW confirming you meet the ongoing eligibility requirements. Scholarship payments are paid directly to your nominated bank account.
Q. Will I have to pay tax on my scholarship?
Most scholarships are not taxable; though UOW encourages each scholarship recipient to seek their own advice. Contact the Australian Tax Office (ATO) to find out if your scholarship is taxable or visit the ATO website.
Any further questions?
Contact the UOW Fees and Scholarships team at firstname.lastname@example.org.