The Australian Government has partnered with the University of Wollongong (UOW) to offer the Destination Australia scholarship program. Valued at $15,000 per year for the duration of the recipients' degree, these scholarships aim to support full-time students who choose to stay close to home and study at a UOW Regional campus.
Destination Australia scholarships
Domestic student scholarship details
|UOW Eurobodalla||$15,000 per year||One, two or three years, depending on length of degree|
|UOW Bega Valley||$15,000 per year||One, two or three years, depending on length of degree|
|UOW Shoalhaven||$15,000 per year||One, two or three years, depending on length of degree|
|UOW Southern Highlands||$15,000 per year||One, two or three years, depending on length of degree|
To be eligible for a Destination Australia Scholarship, students must meet the following criteria:
- Commencing as a new student at UOW in 2024;
- Maintain ongoing residency in a regional area as defined by the Australia Bureau of Statistics for the duration of each study period;
- Enrolled and study at either UOW Eurobodalla, UOW Bega Valley, UOW Shoalhaven or UOW Southern Highlands;
- Enrolled full-time in an on-campus course that can be fully delivered at one of the campuses listed above; and
- Enrolled in a Bachelor's, Bachelor's Honours, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma, Master or Doctoral degree.
- International students - please do not apply for this scholarship. All international students who are eligible for the Destination Australia scholarship will be contacted directly by the University.
How to apply
Domestic students are required to submit an online scholarship application. Students will be requested to provide personal details, degree, living address (or intended living address if not currently residing in a regional area), campus and written responses.
Applications will open from approximately October 2023.
Frequently asked questions
- How much is the scholarship?
- When do applications close?
- How do I know if my application has been submitted?
- How do I know if I am a successful candidate?
- How do I accept my scholarship offer?
- When will I receive my scholarship payments?
- Will I have to pay tax on my scholarship?
- Do you have other questions?
The Destination Australia scholarship is $15,000 per year for two or three years, depending on length of degree.
Domestic student applications close on 19 March 2023
As part of the application process, you will be provided with an email receipt of the submission of your application. If you do not receive a receipt of submission, in the first instance check your 'junk mail' (some email services automatically direct receipts to their user's junk mailboxes). If you still haven't received a receipt please contact the Fees and Scholarships team on (02) 4252 8959 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The UOW Fees and Scholarships team will contact you via phone and email regarding the outcome.
To accept your scholarship you will need to complete the terms and conditions included with your offer letter and return them to the UOW Fees and Scholarships team at email@example.com
Scholarship payments are processed each session (April and September), subject to UOW confirming you meet the ongoing eligibility requirements. Scholarship payments are paid directly to your nominated bank account.
While most scholarships are not taxable, UOW encourages each scholarship recipient to seek their own advice. Contact the Australian Tax Office (ATO) to find out if your scholarship is taxable or visit the ATO website.