How is this program run?
This program is running both face-to-face and online.
What will I do?
You will assist newly commencing international students to the Faculty of Business and Law (BAL) in their transition to their new life in Wollongong, and Sydney. Your interpersonal and cross-cultural skills will provide social support for these international students as they adjust to their new surroundings. You will lead new international students throughout the semester, and accompany them to various student support and engagement activities across campus. You will meet with your mentees regularly throughout the session to ensure that they are coping with their studies and cultural transition.
How will I benefit?
Taking on this role as student mentor will give you the opportunity to:
- Gain practical experience in cross-cultural and interpersonal skills
- Interact with students from an array of cultures and nationalities
- Advance your group facilitation and communication skills as you facilitate small groups of new international students
- Gain a rewarding experience as a volunteer enhancing the wellbeing of new international students
- Work within a close-knit team of International Peer Mentors that will enhance your team work skills
How do I apply?
Students from Wollongong, Sydney CBD, and Liverpool campuses can register Expressions of Interest by emailing email@example.com.
Are there any special requirements for this role?
Yes, to be eligible to become a mentor you need to:
- Be studying a degree with the Faculty of Business and Law (BAL);
- Have completed at least 18 credit points of study at UOW;
- Achieved a WAM of at least 65% (credit average); and
- Attend the Mentoring Training Session
Minimum requirements for UOWx recognition
To receive UOWx recognition, you must complete the following:
- An "engaged" student will need to complete 20 hours in a calendar year
- A "highly engaged" student will need to complete 35 hours in a calendar year
|Where?||When?||Time commitment||Type||Learning Streams|
||Four to nine hours per week.||