Entry pathways

UOW Southern Highlands offers a variety of flexible pathways into our degree programs. If you want to get a university qualification, we will help you find a way.

Entry to university

UOW Southern Highlands offers a variety of flexible pathways into our degree programs. If you want to get a university qualification, we will help you find a way.

If you are a mature age student, or want to transfer from other tertiary studies, the UOW pathways to university site explains all of the different ways to get into university.


Below are the other options relevant to UOW Southern Highlands:

High School Students

The most common entry into one of our degrees is via the ATAR usually gained by completing Year 12/HSC. You can apply using your results regardless of where or when you completed school. We can translate your marks into an ATAR as part of the application process. You can search for ATAR cutoffs for degrees at UOW Shoalhaven in the UOW Course Finder. Use these cutoffs as a guide only. If you completed year 12 prior to 2012, contact us to arrange assessment of your results.

Current year 12 students completing their HSC in local schools are eligible for  adjustment factors (formerly called bonus points) based on performance in relevant HSC subjects. These points will be automatically applied for admission to our courses. 

Even if you have not completed the current NSW HSC (or equivalent) in full, or you did not receive the required entry mark, you may still qualify for admission.

Indigenous Admissions Program

The Woolyungah Indigenous Centre at UOW offers an Indigenous Admissions Program (IAP) to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. It assesses applicants’ suitability for study at UOW based on a series of tests and interviews instead of the ATAR.

It is available to all students of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent who are 17 years old or older.

 Find out more about the Woolyungah Indigenous Centre or contact them (reverse charges if necessary) on 02 4221 5894 or 02 4221 3776

TAFE Tertiary Preparation Certificate (TPC)

The TPC is an option for people who wish to gain an equivalent year 12 qualification which will give entry to university. The TPC is offered by TAFE Illawarra at the Moss Vale Campus. More information about this course can be found on the TAFE Illawarra website or by phoning Moss Vale TAFE on 1300 766 123.

Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT)

Mature age applicants can gain entry to UOW via STAT which is designed to assess a range of skills and knowledge you will need for tertiary study. It is coordinated by the Universities Admission Centre (UAC) and held several times a year.

How to Apply

Thinking about studying at UOW, Southern Highlands? Why not come and visit the campus and speak with one of our staff who will be happy to help with any questions about courses, eligibility or student life on campus. 

Step 1 - Choose your course

Explore the courses that are available at Southern Highlands. Within our courses, there are various majors to choose from, depending on your interests and future career plans.

Step 2 - Check your eligibility

Find out if you are eligible. Read through the eligibility information to see the various entry options.

Step 3 - Apply

Complete the online application, attach scanned copies of all your original documents such as certificates, results from previous courses and proof of citizenship.

You may make an appointment to speak to one of our staff to certify your documents and submit your form. Alternatively, your documents may be certified by either a Justice of the Peace, police officer, post office manager or person holding a similar professional position.

Like to speak to someone about any aspect of the application process? You can get in contact by phone or email.