Please Note: this volunteering is with an external community organisation that UOWx has a partnership with. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org once you have been accepted into this role and UOWx will add you to the Moodle site so you can commence claiming your hours.
How is this program run?
This program is run in-person only
What will I do?
This is an awesome opportunity to work as part of a dedicated volunteer team providing love and care to rescued greyhounds at Greyhound Rescue’s kennel facility, Greysland. This includes cleaning and performing animal handling duties in accordance with the Standard Operating Procedures under the supervision of staff.
- Ensure kennels and dog runs are clean and tidy
- Ensure kennels and runs have appropriate bedding, water and toys
- Walking hounds and accompany hounds to sensory gardens
- Feeding the hounds
- Ensure hounds are coated when required
- Pooper scooping all areas
- Emptying bins, general cleaning, cleaning equipment and workspaces
- Daily laundry of blankets, dog coats, towels
- Bathing hounds as required
- Notifying Shift Leader of any dog behaviour or observation that may not be considered standard
How will I benefit?
Being a part of the Greyhound Rescue volunteer team will help you develop skills with animals, but also around teamwork and working with others.
Our volunteers have the opportunity to participate in additional training activities, to mentor others, and to represent Greyhound Rescue in a variety of ways within the community.
How do I apply?
Simply apply by visiting Greyhound Rescue's website and filling in the volunteer application form.
Our Volunteer Coordinator will be in touch to provide you with the online training and set up an introductory shift.
Are there any special requirements for this role?
You are required to complete online training and review learning materials prior to commencing your volunteer role, and must have a love of greyhounds and a commitment to their welfare. Previous experience with dogs is beneficial, but not necessary.
You must be able to adhere to OH&S requirements and uphold a high standard of safety, adhering to all policies and procedures and following our RESPECT principles. Review, understand, and follow our Standard Operating Procedures.
Minimum requirements for UOWx recognition
To receive UOWx Recognition for volunteering with a community partner, you will need to email email@example.com to let us know you are enrolled as a volunteer. You will be provided with instructions about how to log your hours for this role.
To have this activity added to your UOWx Record, you must complete the following:
- An "engaged" student will need to be complete 20 hours over a calendar year
- A "highly engaged" student will need to complete 40 hours over a calendar year
For more information, visit the Greyhound Rescue website.
|Where?||When?||Time commitment||Type||Learning Streams|
||Minimum of one four-hour shift per month.||