Who can apply

All students - domestic, international, undergraduate and postgraduate may be eligible to study overseas.

Before applying for a study overseas program, you should attend one of our information sessions or visit the Office of Global Student Mobility, to learn what studying overseas involves and how to start planning your overseas adventure.

All students should check with their Head of School and Head of Students to ensure there are no restrictions on their program of study before applying to go on exchange.

Short Courses

All students may be eligible to complete a short course or international internship. Visit the Applying for a short course page to find more information about eligibility. 

Semester Exchange

All students should check with their Head of School and Head of Students to ensure there are no restrictions on their program of study before applying for the UOW Semester Exchange Program. 

To be eligible for exchange you must be able to demonstrate that you have the academic background and personal qualities needed to become a successful exchange student. 

Applicant Criteria

All applicants must meet the following general requirements, as well as any specific requirements of the host university they are applying for.

  • You must be currently enrolled in a degree program at UOW.
  • You must be of good academic standing. The minimum requirement is a "credit" average (65%), with no subjects completed below a "Pass" grade at UOW.
  • If you have a "Pass Conceded", "Pass Restricted" or "Fail" grade on your academic record and can demonstrate extenuating circumstances, you may still be considered. You will need to submit an additional statement and proof of these circumstances at the time of your application.

Personal Qualities

  • Maturity
  • The ability to assess and exhibit appropriate behaviour in a variety of situations.
  • Social and cross-cultural sensitivity.
  • The ability to cope personally with the challenges of living in a different country. This includes adjusting to different cultures, systems, lifestyles and living conditions.
  • The ability to cope with overseas study and maintain a high academic standard.
  • Capacity to act as an ambassador of UOW and Australia.
  • Willingness to abide by the rules and regulations of the Exchange Program.

Further Criteria

The majority of exchange applicants are undergraduate students. Students enrolled in single or combined (double-degree) programs may apply to the program. Once again, check with your School for any restrictions before applying.

  • You must complete the equivalent of at least one full-time year of study (48 credit points) at UOW by the time you go on exchange.
  • Students who are applying to complete the final session of their degree on exchange may have their graduation delayed.

Exchange opportunities also exist for postgraduate students, however there are fewer host universities able to accept students at this level. Places may therefore be limited. All postgraduate students must have the endorsement of their UOW Faculty (Head of Students and Head of School) to participate in the program.

  • You must be enrolled in a course which has a minimum completion time of at least two years full-time.
  • Students will usually need to have completed one full-time session of postgraduate study at UOW (or have completed their undergraduate degree at UOW ) before applying to the Exchange Program.
  • Students must be enrolled full-time, in a suitable academic program, at the host university.
  • Students must be able to demonstrate serious academic goals for their exchange.



Part-time students must complete the equivalent of one full-time year of study (48 credit points) at the UOW before going on exchange. All students must also study full-time while on exchange.

When applying for the UOW Semester Exchange Program, students attending UOW’s Eurobodalla, Bega Valley, Shoalhaven, Southern Highlands, Liverpool or Sutherland campuses must to travel to the main campus in Wollongong to complete the exchange application process and attend all compulsory information sessions.

International students are welcome to apply to the Exchange Program, however:

  • You will not normally be permitted to go on exchange to your home country. You must nominate an alternative exchange destination You must substantiate your application to undertake a second international experience; and

You must abide by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s (DIBP's) requirements for international students going on exchange. Please note that any periods of study outside Australia, including single subjects or semester programs, will not be considered as having been undertaken within Australia by DIBP if you apply for a visa which requires two academic years' study

If you are transferring into UOW from another University or articulating into UOW from UOW College, you must complete one full-time session of study (24 credit points) at UOW before submitting an application to study abroad.

If your partner and/or children will be accompanying you overseas, you are encouraged to plan well in advance and discuss your options with the Study Abroad Office as soon as possible.

Please discuss your requirements with the Study Abroad team. We can advise you on appropriate exchange destinations and overseas support services that can be provided. All enquiries and advice is managed confidentially.

Most UOW students who complete an exchange program don’t speak the language of their host country when they arrive. But it’s not a problem as you can study in English at most destinations. There are programs taught in English at most of our partner universities in non-English-speaking countries. While you’re abroad, you can learn a new language or improve your existing language skills. Study in English as well as learn a new language – it’s a win-win.

Degree restrictions

There are a number of UOW degrees which require further advice before students submit their application.

  • Bachelor of Nursing: Bachelor of Nursing students, can participate in the International Exchange Program, however you will need to speak with the Director of the Bachelor of Nursing Advanced program about the specific process and requirements. Bachelor of Nursing Advanced students can only undertake their International Studies minor in Spring session of their third year. 

  • Exercise Science and Rehabilitation/Nutrition: You will need to speak with your Course Coordinator to confirm the best time to go on exchange during your degree, as well as ensuring you will meet accreditation requirements. Normally, students under these degrees are encouraged to study in the USA/Canada.

  • Law: Students wishing to study Law in the USA should be advised that Law is restricted in the majority of US universities (this is because it is a postgraduate qualification). However, Law students have been able to undertake law-related subjects in schools of Legal Studies and Business Law in the US previously, and have these approved as Law elective subjects.

  • Students with a set "elective" schedule: Some degrees such as Law, Engineering and Business have "set" subjects for their elective schedule. To ensure that you meet your degree requirements, we encourage you to seek specified credit for these subjects, rather than unspecified credit.

  • Students not seeking credit or students in their final semester: Subjects undertaken at the host university must still be approved for credit towards your degree (or elective credit). Please be advised that the credit transfer process may delay your graduation.


Please contact the Office of Global Student Mobility if you would like to discuss your eligibility before submitting an application.