UOW International Exchange Program
Student Acknowledgement of COVID-19 Risks
- I am aware that it is entirely my decision to travel during the COVID-19 pandemic and I take full responsibility for my actions with regards to this.
- I understand that UOW’s role in my travel is limited to facilitating a relationship between myself and my host university for the purposes of participating in an exchange program.
- I understand the inherent risks involved in undertaking travel during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to continually check the latest travel information regarding the COVID-19 outbreak and I am aware of current Australian and my host country governments’ travel warnings, travel restrictions and rules.
- I accept that neither UOW or my host university is responsible for any travel restrictions, illness, cancellations, financial loss, quarantine rules or measures put in place at airports or destinations that may affect me.
- I understand that that the trajectory of the virus at the local, national, and international levels is unpredictable.
- I recognise that my participation in an exchange program means I may be subjected to potential risks, illnesses, injuries, even death, as a result either of contracting COVID-19 or the actions or omissions of governments, private entities or other parties with respect to COVID-19.
Travel, Border Closures and Immigration
- I am aware that additional screening procedures and restrictions may be in place at airports and in public areas.
- I understand that the borders between Australia and my host country may close without notice and this may result in interruptions or delays in my return to Australia.o
- I am aware that immigration restrictions may be put in place by the Australian or my host country's government before or during my travels.
Expenses and Insurance
- I understand that neither UOW or my host university is responsible for assisting with any travel or accommodation bookings or expenses that I incur because of COVID-19 or its related impacts.
- I understand that UOW’s travel insurance covers me for COVID-19 medical related incidents but does not cover me for cancellation or quarantine expenses related to COVID-19.
- I understand it is my responsibility to source and obtain additional travel insurance if I wish to be covered for cancellation or quarantine expenses related to COVID-19.
- I confirm that I have adequate financial resources to cover me for the duration of my exchange. This includes the financial capacity to cover any expenses as a result of interruptions or delays caused by COVID-19, including quarantine expenses, funds to cover delayed or cancelled flights and living expenses for an extended period of time in the event the borders between Australia and my host country are closed by either government.
Host Country Requirements
- I agree to adhere to all COVID-19 related laws and regulations of my host country while travelling there.
- I understand that all activities I undertake as part of my exchange must comply with local/domestic travel restrictions, self-isolation/quarantine requirements, and lockdown orders.
- I understand that should I be required to undertake a period of quarantine in any country, it will be at my expense and neither UOW nor my host university is required or responsible to assist me with the logistics or costs of the quarantine.
- I understand that my program of studies may be interrupted due to COVID-19 and I may be required to complete my studies online or in another format not as originally planned.
I agree to review both http://www.smartraveller.gov.au and http://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19 to ensure I am aware of potential risks relevant to my destination and the most up to date information regarding covid-19 pandemic.
Short course, study abroad and internship terms and conditions
Terms and conditions (Authorisation Statement)
- I certify that all the information I have given in this application is true, correct and complete, including full declaration of any pre-existing health or medical conditions.
- I agree to notify UOW if there is any change to the information I have given in this application.
- I understand that UOW reserves the right to reverse or vary any decision made on the basis of incorrect, incomplete, false or misleading information that I have provided.
- I understand that I must have completed the equivalent of one year full time study (i.e. 48 credit points) before the commencement of my study program (six months/24 credit points if transferring from another university or an academic program at UOW College.) if applying for a semester of Study Abroad.
- I understand that the decision of the Office of Global Student Mobility is final with respect to selection of applicants, host institution and travel grants. Students that are on referral are not eligible to participate in short term mobility programs.
I understand UOW’s General Consent and Disclosure statement including:
- Disclosure of personal and/or health related information
- Exchange of information with the host institution/ program provider In the event that:
- I am hospitalised or suffer from a serious health issue
- I am arrested or placed in the custody of the police immigration or other government agency
- I am involved in a serious incident threatening my safety or wellbeing
- I consent to UOW contacting the person or persons nominated as my emergency contact on SOLS and informing them of my circumstances.
- I consent to the release of my email address to other participants and prospective participants for the institution or country in which I am accepted to undertake my international program.
- I consent to UOW releasing my personal information, including my address and academic transcript and any sensitive information I have provided in this application (such as health information), to the overseas institution.
- I also consent to the overseas institution releasing my personal information to UOW.
Conditions of participation in the program
- I understand that the maximum period of an overseas program is one year, either as a single stay or two stays of one semester each for Study Abroad.
- I understand that UOW reserves the right to reject this application or withdraw a student from the program under the following circumstances:
- Unsatisfactory academic performance at UOW or the host Institution.
- Unsatisfactory conduct at UOW or the host institution, including at UOW residences or residences of the host institution.
- Indebtedness to UOW or the host institution/ program provider or its residences or its associated entities
- I understand that I shall be subject to all the rules, regulations and general code of practice for students enrolled at the participating institution and, if relevant, the overseas host institution accommodation provider/ residence.
- I certify that I have completed the responsibilities, rights and respect online module
- I agree to be bound by the terms of the visa which I am granted by the country in which I am undertaking the overseas program.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to obtain the appropriate visa or study permit required by the country of the host institution or any countries I may be travelling to, prior to departure.
My financial obligations
- I understand that the program fee (if applicable) is not refundable.
- I understand that I am responsible for any costs associated with my overseas program, including visa costs, personal spending, money, accommodation charges and expenses, health insurance charges levied by the host institution/ program provider or host country and any other charges levied by the host country, or the host institution/ program provider, whether or not they are explicitly stated in the letter of offer from the host institution/ program provider.
- I agree to pay or arrange to have paid on my behalf my UOW tuition fees (if HECS payment is up front) for each session that I am overseas (if applicable) and abide by advice from the UOW Student Services Division regarding HECS payment and re-enrolment.
- I understand that payment of my Travel Grant, if awarded, will not be paid until all required documentation is received by the UOW Office of Global Student Mobility, and that travel grant payments will under no circumstances be made if this advice is received after the completion of the program.
Conditions for travel grant recipients
- I understand that failure to meet any of the conditions of the UOW travel grant policy, prior to my departure and during my overseas study period will result in me being responsible for the total repayment to UOW of all monies received by me in relation to my overseas program at the host institution.
- I release and identify UOW and its officers, agents and employees from and against all claims for or in respect of property damage, economic loss, and/or personal injury, including death, which I may have or cause in the course of or by reason of, or in any way connected with my participation in the overseas program listed on this application form.
- I understand that UOW and/or the host institution reserves the right to cancel my participation in the overseas program because of failure to satisfy the conditions of my offer, unsatisfactory academic progress at either institution, academic or general misconduct or indebtedness to UOW or the host institution/program provider between the time of application and the end of the program. If the program is cancelled UOW is not responsible for costs related to the preparation, participation or return from overseas period incurred by me from the date of cancellation.
- I will commit a minimum of 5 hours, as requested by the Office of Global Student Mobility to assist with the promotion of future programs.
- If I am awarded a travel grant through the Australian Government’s New Colombo Plan funding scheme, I consent to UOW sharing the following details with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and the Department of Education and Training:
- My name
- My student number
- My gender
- The name of my home institution and the host institution
- Details of my study program at my home institution and the host institution
- Contact details
- Credits applicable to this study program
- Confirmation that I have been granted credit towards my home institution degree for study successfully undertaken overseas.
- I agree that in addition to uses permitted under the Privacy Act, DFAT and Education may use my information for administering the New Colombo Plan, including the following purposes:
- assessing Applications;
- administering and performance monitoring of the NCP;
- promoting the NCP, including to Students and media representatives and in promotional material, information and publications in hardcopy and/or on the internet; and
- inviting Students in the NCP alumni network to NCP and related functions and events held in Australia and overseas.
- I agree that DFAT and Education may also disclose my Personal Information in relation to Mobility Projects under the NCP Mobility Program for the purposes listed above including:
- to other Australian Government Departments and agencies, including Austrade, the Department of Home Affairs, the Australian Federal Police and the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet;
- to State and Territory Governments;
- to Australian Parliamentary members and committees of the Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia;
- to contractors and agents of DFAT and Education;
- to Australian Universities, including ILOs;
- to potential Internship/Mentorship Host Organisations and language training providers, Host Location governments/authorities or non-government organisations. These may be foreign organisations (noting that they may not be bound by Australian privacy legislation or equivalent privacy legislation in their own countries;
- to media representatives, including foreign media representatives; and
- in publicly available promotional material, information and publications in hardcopy and/or on the internet.
- I understand that I must abide by the laws of the country of the host institution.
- I agree to inform the Office of Global Student Mobility of any change in my contact details AND those of the person(s) nominated as my emergency contacts in SOLS.
- I agree to provide a telephone number (at a minimum, the telephone number of the residence or accommodation) and access my UOW email address on a regular basis, in order to receive communications from UOW.
- I understand the UOW's travel insurance is for the duration of my overseas study period only. Any excess of this period I must arrange additional insurance at my own expense
- I agree to register with DFAT for the country in which I am resident, and to subscribe to www.smarttraveller.gov.au, for the purpose of receiving alerts for the relevant country.
- I agree to contact UOW to seek advice where a travel advisory is issued for the country as a whole, or for the part of the country in which I am living and studying or traveling through.
- I agree to comply with any direction of UOW with respect to my safety, and that I should not rely solely on the advice from the host institution/ program provider or my own judgement as to my actions in the event of an emergency.
I understand that if I ignore an Australian government travel advisory, or a direction from UOW, I may render my travel insurance null and void.
- I agree to comply with the DFATS Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment (PSEAH) policy and Child Protection Policy including reporting obligations of all alleged sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment incidents within the timeframe as indicated in the policies. Further information can be found here: Preventing Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment and Child Protection Policy.
- I understand that in the event that I cannot complete my period of studies at the host institution for any reason whatsoever (including disinclination to enrol at the host institution, disinclination to continue, illness, inability of the host institution/ program provider to provide the program due to any circumstance) and I am unable or unwilling for any reason to return to UOW, I may not be able to receive credit at UOW for those subjects attempted.
- I may not be able to gain credit exemptions at UOW for those subjects attempted and will nevertheless remain liable for HECS charges to UOW for that session (if applicable) unless I have withdrawn by census date.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to have all subjects undertaken as part of overseas program, approved in advance by my Head of Students, and in the event that the subjects are not available at the host institution, it is my responsibility to have other subjects approved by UOW.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to confirm that the subjects that I study overseas conform to the requirements of the degree in which I am enrolled, and that if I choose to undertake subjects that do not count towards my degree.
- I undertake these subjects at additional expense to the normal on-time cost of undertaking the degree. UOW will not be liable for any loss arising from my booking of non-refundable travel or from any other travel cancellation or variation fees.
Before I leave
- I agree to complete the Moodle modules specified by the Office of Global Student Mobility.
- I agree to submit all compulsory forms and attend all compulsory pre-departure briefings prior to departure as advised by the Office of Global Student Mobility.
While I am away
- I agree to confirm that I have arrived at the host institution.
- I agree to inform UOW of any changes to the following: my address overseas, my contact details (phone and email), my emergency contacts and the subjects in which
- I am enrolled.
- I agree to enrol and maintain full time status at my host institution and to remain enrolled at the UOW as a full time student for the duration of the overseas program (if applicable).
- I agree to notify the Office of Global Student Mobility if I withdraw from the program.
After I return
- I understand that I am obliged to provide the following:
- An overseas program report
- photograph(s) of myself overseas, to be used for promotional purposes, for which photograph(s) I authorise release
- An original academic transcript or a completion certificate/letter from my host institution/ program provider
- Approval of all subjects that appear on the host institution transcript for specified and/or unspecified credit by relevant UOW academic staff.
- I understand further that advanced standing granted for subjects taken while overseas will only be applied to my UOW academic record after these have been received by the Office of Global Student Mobility.
International students – additional conditions.
- I understand that I may not be eligible to undertake an overseas program in my home country.
- I agree to abide by any condition of my Australian student visa or DIBP regulation covering international students undertaking an approved overseas study.
- I understand that I am not eligible for Australian government financial support for overseas study programs.
I understand and accept the terms and conditions set out in this application and that UOW may rely on and enforce the terms and conditions.