If you are planning on using public transport to get to Uni, you will need to get an Opal card. Opal cards are smartcard tickets you can load with money to pay for public transport and are managed by Transport for NSW. The below provides information regarding which Opal card may suit you, and how to get one:
Eligible Domestic Students can apply for a student concession Opal card
To be eligible for the concession opal card you need to:
- Be a full-time enrolled student (more information about full-time and part-time study)
- Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident; or
- Have a NSW home address.
Note that if you are studying a joint degree at both UOW and TAFE, you will need to provide proof of your TAFE enrolment to Student Central so that your eligibility for Opal can be confirmed.
Getting your Opal card is easy:
- Log into SOLS
- Select 'Transport Concession' from the left hand menu
- Read the information and tick the checkbox to provide your consent for UOW to confirm your eligibility with Transport for NSW
- Wait 48 hours - then go to the Opal card website to order your card
Your card will be posted to your mailing address 5-7 days after your application is complete.
From 1 February 2017, the way you prove your entitlement to concession travel on NSW public transport is changing. If you travel anywhere within the Opal network:
- You can use your UOW student ID card (with photo) with your Concession Opal card as proof of entitlement to concession rates. Alternatively you can apply online for a Transport Concession Entitlement Card (TCEC) if your student ID does not have a photo.
If you travel anywhere outside of the Opal network, including many rural and regional buses and NSW TrainLink Regional Services:
- You'll need to apply for a Transport Concession Entitlement Card to prove your eligibility to travel on a concession fare (apply online).
- Tertiary Student Concession Cards and foil stickers have not been accepted since 31 March 2017.
If you are a domestic student and you do not meet the eligibility criteria for a Concession Opal card, or you are an international student, you will need an Adult Opal card to use public transport.
You can get your Adult Opal Card from the UniShop on Campus or some other retailers.
Find out more on the Opal website.
Where can I use my opal card?
You can use your Opal Card on train, bus, light rail, and ferry services by 'tapping' on and off at your stops. For more information on how to use your card, visit the Opal website.
If you lose your Opal Card, you can apply for a replacement via the Opal website
If you are planning to travel in places where Opal is not currently available (check Where You Can Use Opal), you will need a concession ticket AND a Transport Concession Entitlement Card (see Transport NSW website for information on applying for the TCEC).
For any other questions specific to UOW, please contact Student Central.