Travel Passes & Opal Cards

Opal Cards

UOW Transport - Concessions Image 

If you are planning on using public transport to get to Uni, you will need to get an Opal card.

Opal cards are smartcard tickets you can load with money to pay for public transport and are managed by Transport for NSW. 

Transport for NSW have phased out paper tickets from 1 August 2016.  If you still have paper tickets, you may be able to apply for a refund from Transport for NSW.

Read below to find out more about the Opal card which suits you and how to get one.

Concession Opal Cards

Eligible Domestic Students can apply for a student concession Opal card 

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for the concession opal card you need to:

  • Be a full-time enrolled student (more information about full-time and part-time study)
  • Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Have a NSW home address

Note that if you are studying a joint degree at both UOW and TAFE, you will need to provide proof of your TAFE enrolment to Student Central so that your eligibility for Opal can be confirmed.

Get your Concession Opal Card

Getting your Opal card is easy:

  1. Log into SOLS
  2. Select 'Transport Concession' from the left hand menu
  3. Read the information and tick the checkbox to provide your consent for UOW to confirm your eligibility with Transport for NSW
  4. Wait 48 hours - then go to the Opal card website to order your card

 Your card will be posted to your mailing address 5-7 days after your application is complete.

Proving your Entitlement to Concession Travel

From 1 February 2017, the way you prove your entitlement to concession travel on NSW public transport is changing. 

If you travel anywhere within the Opal network:

If you travel anywhere outside of the Opal network, including many rural and regional buses and NSW TrainLink Regional Services:

  • You'll need to apply for a Transport Concession Entitlement Card to prove your eligibility to travel on a concession fare. Apply online from 1 February 2017.
  • Tertiary Student Concession Cards and foil stickers will not be accepted after 31 March 2017.

For concession travel in the Opal network you need: Opal Concesion Card + Approved Student ID (with photo) OR TCEC. For concession travel in regional NSW (outside the Opal network) you need: Concession ticket + TCEC.


Adult Opal Cards

If you are a domestic student and you do not meet the eligibility criteria for a Concession Opal card, or you are an international student, you will need an Adult Opal card to use public transport.

You can get your Adult Opal Card from the UniShop on Campus or some other retailers.

Find out more on the Opal website.

Opal Card Info

Use Your Opal Card

You can use your Opal Card on train, bus, light rail, and ferry services by 'tapping' on and off at your stops. For more information on how to use your card, visit the Opal website.

Lost or Stolen Cards

If you lose your Opal Card, you can apply for a replacement via the Opal website 

Travel Outside the Opal Network

If you are planning to travel in places where Opal is not currently available (check Where You Can Use Opal):

  • If you have a concession Opal Card but are travelling outside the Opal network you will need a concession ticket AND a Transport Concession Entitlement Card (see Transport NSW website for information on applying for the TCEC)
  • If you have an adult Opal Card - paper tickets outside the Opal network will be available.


If you have specific questions about your Opal card, you can check out the Opal FAQscontact NSW Transport directly, or watch the handy Opal videos.

Opal Card Video Gallery 

For all other questions, you can contact Student Central.

MyMulti Passes

From 1st August 2016, MyMulti Passes will no longer be available or accepted. 

Last reviewed: 1 February, 2017