Automation and Digitalisation at Port Kembla Steel Works
Scholarship for 3.5 years full-time study
AUD$ 33,413 p.a (tax-free)
Led by the University of Wollongong, the ARC Research Hub for Australian Steel Innovation is a 5 year, $28m research program bringing together 9 Universities and 8 industry partners to deliver innovative research designed to enable a necessary technological shift in the steel supply chain.
Working within Program 4 (Steel supply chain transformation) of the Steel Research Hub, the PhD Candidate will be involved Project 4.1.1- Automation and Digitalisation at Port Kembla Steel Works. The project proposes to develop a tool using emerging digital technology (including use Augmented and Mixed Reality) to accelerate the early stages of robotic integration in an effort to rapidly assess the feasibility and safety requirements of robotic automation in an existing site.
Working within a large scale, multi-disciplinary research entity (30+ PhDs, 20+ Post-Docs), the appointee will have contact with BlueScope Steel on aspects of applied, industry-focussed research, as well as collaborating with the wider Steel Research Hub research team. The successful appointee will be supported through additional mentoring, training and personal development.
Essential Academic qualification
Applicants should hold a Masters by Research, or an Honours 1st class (or equivalent) undergraduate degree in Mechatronics Engineering and/or Computer Science or a relevant discipline or the equivalent combination of professional experience and academic qualifications Written and oral communication skills, presenting research work and outcomes to different audiences
- Knowledge and ability in programming with Unity for Deployment to Hololens / Augmented Reality Headsets
- Knowledge and ability in Robotics or industrial automation equipment and data transfer protocols.
- Experience in C# or equivalent programming language.
Conditions for application
- Capacity to be based at the Wollongong campus.
- Applicants should submit cover letter detailing relevant experience and research interest; CV with names and addresses of two referees; and Academic transcripts.
- Both domestic and international prospective students are encouraged to apply.
- Contact for position is Philip Commins (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The position will close once the appropriate candidate has been recruited.
The University of Wollongong is committed to workplace equity, diversity, and inclusion. We value and acknowledge the importance of our people’s diverse experiences, talents, and cultures that they bring to work with them each day. Embracing diversity and creating inclusion is a key component of attracting and retaining talent in our workforce. The creation of a diverse and inclusive workforce is central to our ability to unlock potential, enhance our success, and achieving our vision of being in the Top 1% of universities globally