Contractor Parking Permit System
The University of Wollongong responded to a range of equity issues raised about the contractor parking scheme in 2012. As a result of a review, the following changes were implemented to the contractor parking permit system at the University in 2013:
- Contractor parking permits will be offered in both annual/half-yearly and daily options. Annual/half-yearly permits are electrostatic and transferable between vehicles. Daily permits are single use ‘scratchie’ tickets and each ticket is valid for one day only.
- A fee will be introduced for annual Contractor Category 1 parking permits at a rate matching staff permits ($380 annual and $190 half year). Contractor Category 1 permits may be used in UOW service vehicle bays, ticket bays and permit bays and locations authorised by UOW Project Officers in consultation with the Manager Security. These permits will be restricted to vehicles that are essential for the service or project activity being carried out.
- UOW Entry Permits (e.g. permit bays only) will be made available to desk-based contractors/consultants and for vehicles that are not required for essential service activities on job sites at a cost of $380 annual and $190 half year.
- Annual Contractor Category 1 permits will be restricted to 2 per company (with consideration to be made for companies with larger service fleets).
- Daily ‘scratchie’ parking permits will be available at the same rate as ticket parking ($10 daily).
Vehicles exempt from requiring a contractor parking permit
The following vehicles are permitted to park in service bays, Pay & Display ticket bays + UOW Permit bays, but are exempt from requiring a contractor parking permit, provided that the vehicle is clearly identified and badged with the organisation's logo:
- Authorised UOW or Resolve FM vehicles e.g. FMD, IMTS, Printery, Mail Distribution, Security, Resolve FM.
- Government authority vehicles, e.g. AQIS (Quarantine).
- Recognised public utility vehicles performing authorised works, e.g. Optus, Telstra, Origin Energy.
- Delivery vehicles are exempt from requiring a contractor parking permit, as the nature of the visit is understood to be over a short timeframe (maximum 30 minutes), e.g. BOC gases.
- Emergency services vehicles.
The driver of the above vehicles must be engaged in authorised University business.
In the event that any vehicle which is classified as exempt from requiring a contractor parking permit arrives on campus and is not clearly identified and badged with the organisation's logo, the contractor is advised to make other arrangements to ensure a valid parking permit is obtained. See section below on daily ‘scratchie’ contractor parking permits.
Process for obtaining annual contractor parking permits
Please refer to process FMD-PAR-REF-001 and follow the procedure closely, as failure to do so may result in the delay of issuing permits. The Application Form FMD-PAR-FRM-003 is available for downloading.
Process for obtaining daily 'scratchie' contractor parking permits
Category 1 Contractors (requiring access to service vehicle bays: see note 2 above) who do not wish to purchase an annual or half-yearly parking permit, may purchase daily Contractor Category 1 ‘scratchie’ tickets from the UOW Post Office at a cost of $10 per day, the same rate as ticket parking. Multiple scratchies may be pre-purchased and used when required.
Desk-based contractors (see note 3 above) who do not wish to purchase an annual or half-yearly UOW Entry Permit are still able to access normal Pay and Display ticket parking where available, or use the parking stations. If a UOW Project Officer wishes to pre-purchase a daily visitor’s scratchie permit on behalf of the desk-based contractor they may do so by providing a cost centre to HR & Finance reception.
Staff members are advised to direct enquiries on contractor parking matters to the Facilities Management Service Centre on 4221 3217, or by email.